Sun Roof - 1948 Mk IV

Just in the process of putting back together my car after full bare metal strip down and re-paint. Question on the sun roof if anyone can help please:

I know how to re-fit the rubber weather seals to the leading edges of the sun roof, but there appears to have been a set of rubbers or leather strip on the rear of each slider bar (within the car roof line). These are totally worn away to leave a couple of rivets showing above a sallow “S” shaped metal bracket, the bracket also looks to be riveted into the slider bar. Whilst the sun roof slides OK, it does not lift fully up at the back edge.

I know that as the sun roof is closed, the back edge should rise up the “S” brackets each side, and the rubbers/leather lift it at the rear to seal the main back edge of the sun roof panel up to the main roof body panel - but how thick was the rubber/leather on “S” brackets? Also can the two rivets holding down the “S” brackets to each slider bars be drilled out and riveted down again once the top rubbers/leather are fitted (the rubbers/leather look to be riveted themselves first onto the “S” bracket) - it could be difficult to fit the rubbers/leather in place and without first taking out the “S” brackets to work on a bench.

Thanks.

The brackets I think you refer to were covered in leather , AS you observed they seem to have been rivetted on before welding in place. I used fairly thick leather. not trim thickness but leather strapping gauge, and used pop rivets to hold it on, with the aid of some trim adhesive at the time . But now i think I’d use JB Weld. And put some dry lube on . I assume you have the article on how to make/install the front seal.

Thanks Ed. I’ve got some thick gauge leather I can use and fix in place as you suggest. I’m ok for doing the front rubber seal and I’ve seen the article which was helpful.