Superblack Has "Gas"

Oops - I was thinking those were for air and not radiator coolant … : goofed there! :blush: Thanks for posting that (btw, so should either of them feel warm for any reason?) :smile:

Ut oh … Steve, just now read your post after posting that earlier response - yes, sounds like something that needs to be checked out, then … thanks :smile:

Yep, that’s what TX has done (no emissions requirement for cars 25+ years old) … That’s how Superblue finally squeaked in and probably the same situation for Superblack. In fact, I guess if I wanted I could remove the cats and get better HP (?)

Warm? Suppose so. Thermal conduction from other things they touch
Not hot.

Removing cats barely does anything. Removing mid mufflers (the big ones under rear seats), wow! What a difference in power! Sounds goes from silence to normal car sound.

Well, by way of update, Superblack is no longer blowing anything (visible) out the pipes … Phew! :triumph: Another potential issue down, another 2356 only to go … :laughing:

Never really understood your concern. The article I added before indicates that (IIRC) 13 % of exhaust gas is H2O…water. If the engine, cats, exhaust pipes, mufflers are cold…the water will blow right thru and drip out. As all those items begin to warm up, the water eventually vaporizes. My Yukon does this all the time. SD Faircloth

What was worrying me was that it was doing it still 15 minutes+ after start up, which I would not think is the norm, but then I have never had a 5.3 before. Superblue doesn’t do that – just her brief cloud of blue smoke upon startup after sitting a few hours … :blush:

15 minutes is a bit long, how is the fuel? All new gas? Old gas will have water in it.

Also, check the coolant and make sure it’s not decreasing, which would point to head gasket.

Nowhere near enough to make a difference. Burned gas is partly water… 13% actually sounds low!
As long as the complete exhaust hasn’t been burning hot for a while there is no way all the condensation has steamed out - but mostly the vapour must be condensation from the still cold pipes. It will take a long time to warm up - ten minutes while driving is standard for most normal cars?
Invest the time spent worrying towards learning what all the wires and hoses under the bonnet do - you’ll do great! And teach your tech, too. Also you might want to empty the tank and fill it with fresh gas soon if you expect anything: new filter, too.

Well, as I posted earlier, it isn’t doing it anymore, so apparently it was condensation (water) in the fuel. I guess that 1/2 bottle of STA-BIL stuff I put in 2-3 weeks ago when I added some premium fuel did a good job in removing it although actually it touts itself as a “fuel stabilizer” and “fuel system cleaner” (vs., e.g., Heet, which is specifically to remove water). Phew! :disappointed_relieved:

Good point about the fuel filter, and glad it is so accessible on our XJSes (i.e. on outside of car). I can’t decide whether though to change it now, before the first tank of (old) fuel goes through her, or wait til that tankful is gone and before I start putting in her first fresh tankful (or maybe both – they’re cheap, under $10). :confused:

Well, my tech and I revisited the “hot pipe” issue a couple of days ago, and it indeed is HOT :firecracker: on that side. Therefore, the check valve is apparently froze/rusted closed (or open?) from what someone suggested earlier on here. Very fortunately, I was able to find one last N.O.S. one on Ebay from an estate sale, and nabbed it for a mere $22.00. :joy: Only have to hope the driver’s side pipe doesn’t start doing ditto. :crossed_fingers:

Run down the tank if you want, but if all those additives do anything they will start in the tank and proceed in the filter before they go to the injectors :grimacing: just saying.
If the tank is low I‘d drain it if possible, use the gas in my other cars and flush the lines, then start with a fresh filter but that can wait as long as it still runs, why bother…

Whikite condensation from a smooth pair of pipes looks nice to me!!!

Carl

Therefore, the check valve is apparently froze/rusted closed (or open?) from what someone suggested earlier on here. Very fortunately, I was able to find one last N.O.S. one on Ebay from an estate sale, and nabbed it for a mere $22.00. :joy: Only have to hope the driver’s side pipe doesn’t start doing ditto. :crossed_fingers:

IIRC there is a GM or aftermarket check valve that is same and doesn’t break the bank. Check the archives… was in a post by Sbobev. When I cleaned out my rails I used the info from Steve. And plenty of powerblast and BF’ing wrench to separate the valve from the rail on one of the sides

Yep, I could see a LOT of elbow grease possibly needed on that task … :frowning_face: