Supercharged V8 from XJR in my 76 coupe

I have the opportunity to purchase a good used 2000 XJR for $2500 which seems like a good deal since it has the “Asteriod” wheels I have been looking for with new tires. I am tempted to make the purchase since the cost of the wheels on the aftermarket are about the same as what I could buy the whole car. Then I would have everything to swap the Engine, trans and Brembo brakes into my coupe. Any thoughts? I have a mill and a lathe and I am a pretty good fabricator. The electronics give me pause.

It should, David…

The XJR is virtually all electronics, engine and gearbox - and it must all be transplanted into your coupe. And that leaves the question of whether there is room enough mechanically for the engine and gearbox to fit - and get the bonnet closed. And space in the wheel wells for the XJR set-up…

But a magic wand would come in handy…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Where there is a will there is a way !!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

The Asteroids will not fit an XJ S2.
They have no protrusion in the center for the front stub axle, which the S2 has, and XJ8 doesn’t.

Rob

image1.jpeg

1 Like

Wow, nice car!
Do I see the stub axle poking through the front rim?
Rob

Don’t know. It’s not my car. I have also seen a 77 XJS with the same wheels.

COOL!!

A true Jag rat rod!!!

I have a Franken-Jag Series II SWB that is comprised of 3 different cars. the front susension is off of a Series III or a Series II V12… Anyway, I have a 2001 Supercharged 4.0L engine transmission and driveshaft sitting in storage along with all of the wiring harneses, steering wheel and binnacle. I seriously considered the swap. The electrics don’t give me pause, nor does the fabrication. However the amount of both required to make everything fit and work properly DID give me pause.

There’s a Series I that has the supercharged 4.0L AJ6. Essentially fitted the complete running hear under his Series I. It turned out very nice. There’s also a Series III that some blokes turbo’d the stock XK6 4.2 and pushing (I think the article read 30 pounds of boost which is insane!) I think probably 14 or 15 pounds of boost is more realistic. Anyway it was stock a junk yard find engine. It held together enough for a couple of days of a drifiting exposition; and put out about 370BHP - which is the same as the 4.0L supercharged V8. fitting a turbo would be a whole lot easier and cheaper in the long run.

If you decide to do this be sure to replace the cam chain tensioners. while our at it.

Several years ago, Frank Anderson and I had this very same conversation. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you decide to do it, keep us posted.

Thanx
Mark

Thanks for the input. Yes I would agree the gains seem so minimal compared to the effort. I am considering other options for more HP.

For the ease of it, I would suggest going with something like a Chevy LS1 and a 6 speed tranny. It’s been done many times before and you will find lots of tech and kit help .
Good luck.
Phillip

1 Like

Hi again,

Just back to the wheel fitment again…

I’ve attached some pictures from my personal Jag bone yard to explain what I’ve found regarding fitting later rims to early cars.

I hope I have this right, and I don’t steer anybody wrong.

The S1/2/3 cars had a long stub axle in the front, and rims had protrusions to hide it. XJ40’s X300’s had a smaller stub, and XJ8’s had no protrusion.

So, in fitting some of the later rims, there can be a problem accommodating the stub.

Shown is and XJ40 stub on an original rim, an XJ40 rim on a S3 (stub sticking out, can’t fit the cap), an XJ8 hub, a S1/2/3 hub. The X300 XJR6 rim WILL fit.

I don’t have a set of Asteroids to compare.

So, just check the front rim fitment before buying.

I just spoke to a fellow today doing a 6 litre 6 speed car…wow. I love watching the progress of these builds. They are too much for me, but love it.

Good luck,

RobIMG_0106IMG_0111IMG_0109

IMG_0105IMG_0108IMG_0110

I even have access to the swap kit.

John’s Cars. /. Broken Kitty is where I got the kit when I did my last one, but I used a ZZ 350, not an LS

Thanks to everyone for your input. I believe i have given up on the XJR V8 idea. What ideas for increasing the 4.2 six are floating around out there, besides the Turbo, which is an interesting ideas. Who would do a Weber set-up, cams and a header?

How about the straight 6 Supercharged Engine , well over 300bhp :sunglasses:

Hmmmm… not as pretty as the twin-cam

What about a v-12 conversion? if I could make it an XJ12C, it would be clone of a car rarer than a Series 1 XKE.

If you are talking about the xk engine, David - if you are looking for more than marginal power improvements; you are facing more than marginal work and costs…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Not worse than the v8, also a twin cam i‘d say, arguably not as pretty as the xk. The xj40‘s engine mounts could work, I remember?
With the xk, what speaks against a 4.2 9:1 with fuel injection for power? You could even try to make that look good, would be cool for sure.
The turbo; I like it a lot.
But without the cheap xjr a swap to any other engine shouldn’t make sense. I‘d find a cheap good s3 engine and help it in terms of ignition and so on and most importantly look for a good transmission.

On Jay Lenos Garage on YouTube is a good looking XJC engine compartment! How about something in that direction?

David