Suspension bushing replacement

Wow, I feel respected today… I’m going to go construct a sandwich!

1 Like

Lemme guess…rotisserie chicken?

RobY

3 Likes

I got Tweety back OTR, in 2009, but the engine really needed a fresh-up.

2010, I’ve got the engine torn to bits, and my wife who:
-loved the car, but;
-knows NOTHING about engines…

…Comes to the garage, sees the ripped-apart engine, gets a really sad look in her face, and asks, “Will it ever run again?”

I assured her it would, but she wasn’t a believer, till it came to life a few months later. I then realized that, to some, the simple act (to me) of tearing an engine down, then making it run again, looks magical to some!

3 Likes

I have approached things the same way. I still have my first car for 40 years now and is approaching 400K miles but it has never been off the road for more than a few weeks at a time. I do not think I will ever entertain a basket case car as I could see one becoming unmanageable easily. Luckily I got a rust free E so I think the biggest job I will ever have to tackle at one time will be if/when the engine comes out.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

My wife thought that about me when I replaced the heads on her Suburban, closest I’ve been to a complete rebuild. She didn’t even care that I failed to drain the coolant before starting, causing coolant to run down the exhaust manifold, destroying the cat and leaving it with a CEL the rest of its life. She still thought I could do anything.

Next time just pull the cat, stick a hose in there and wash it out, let it dry. then stick it back. It will be fine. Also, clean the O^2 sensors.

Thanks, David! Hoping I’ve learned enough that there won’t be a next time. :slight_smile:

I hope that no-one from the SPCA is reading this thread… :anguished:

4 Likes

Bob, it’s easier to remove the rear fulcrum block, only 2 bolts, and you can use the jack stand at the front fulcrum.
Been using poly bushes for years, never had a squeak problem if the sleeve is lubricated with a Moly grease prior to assembly.

thanks Norman.

So if I just remove the rear block can I get the old bush out of the front as it hangs there?
I am doing a lot of reading on camber etc and think I will go with the SNG poly bushes while I am thins far in.
Geo (Ahwahnee) has me convinced that with some bubble gum and a string I can do my own ( just kidding) , but he has covered the how to’s fairly well in the past and I think I am going to give it a try.

Bob F

Well, some care is required. I pour the parts out into a jug for recycling, then rinse out in the shop sink. I don’t even allow my pets into the garage or workshop for fear one of those old cars may be leaking.

David (Norton), I believe the SPCA reference was just a joke about “sticking a hose in a cat.” :slight_smile: