SUVs now make up 70 percent of US market for cars

Originally published at: https://www.jag-lovers.com/suvs-now-make-up-70-percent-of-us-market-for-cars/

Joe Eberhardt. John Taggart, Getty Images In an interview with CNBC, Joe Eberhardt, one of Jaguar Land Rover’s senior global executives and CEO of its North American operations, talked about the future of the company. The long and short of it is, Jaguar Land Rover is still losing money, Jaguar much more so than Land…

Thanks, Gunnar. I had no idea it had reached 70% of cars. That means SUVs and trucks together are more than 70% of vehicles. It’s been a long time coming (below). I wish they would at least raise the height of traffic signals so that I can see past the SUV/truck that is virtually always in front of me.

And in 5 more 20 percent will be electric…
The gasoline automobile is dead and will be the equal to a horse and no one will want it.
Ive said it before as Pebble Beach, Amelia Island and all the auction houses at shrinking and shrinking ALOT!
We will die with Gasoline but in less than 20 years it will be a fond memory.
France is passing GOVERNED control throttle by satellite in 3 years…
I’m getting new tires on my 2005 FORD GT and driving even more.
I believe we will be banned soon enough.
GTJOEY1314
RIDE ON…INTO THE SUNSET.

lets hope the rich older male ruling class (lol) are able to use their influence to allow “vintage” machinery to be owned and operated on public roads.

We have a generous Concessional rego scheme here for vehicles over 30yrs,
they must be well maintained, when they tried to change the laws, many wealthy vehicle collectors are well connected and political donors, lo & behold, the regulations got better (rare)

Driving in/around Denver, I believe it.

To be fair, it’s entirely possible, even likely, that the 70% number was meant to include both SUVs and pickups.

(Edit)

Yes, the exact quote from the article is: “The shift to SUVs continues with light trucks accounting for 70 percent of new car sales in the U.S.”, so my headline is a little misleading. Sorry about that.

I was sitting at a traffic light, with my Rover (dwarfed by the Subaru Outback, next to it), and of the 12 vehicles I could see, 8, were pickups, the rest SUVs.

Margaret was the only sedan.

QED.

This probably corresponds to the 70 percent of drivers on the road playing with their cell phones…

This is why the Cruze ass’y plant just over the border in Ohio is closed. No matter what ANYBODY says…

1 Like