Sway bar poly bush for 1" diameter

I’ve replaced the stock sway bar in my 1972 XJ6 Series 1 with an aftermarket ADDCO (SKU 588) 1" bar. The bushing are not exactly the correct size and they squeak even with added spacers on the mount. Looking for a POLY bush that fits the 1" diameter. Any product SKU suggestions?

They should look something like this (but these are only 20mm diameter):
10%20AM

The original bush part number was C30502:

20%20AM

ADDCO makes a 1" bush (SKU 64-613-OW) but our kit didn’t include it. Anyone use this bush?

Foggy memory disclosure here.

I had the same problem with the Addco bar (many many years ago) and couldn’t find any 1" poly busings that would seat properly in the Jaguar U-brackets.

I think I ended up with aftermarket (not Addco, though) U-brackets that had a zerk fitting so the bushings could be lubed. I also recall enlarging the bracket holes to accommodate the offset bolt hole spacing on the subframe. Even then i wasn’t fully satisfied although, again, I can’t remember the details of my discontent.

If it do it again I’d skip the poly bushings and use Jaguar 1" bushings (as used on some XJS models) that fit the Jaguar U-brackets properly.

Sorry I can’t offer something more useful

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

I’ve been searching for the 588 front bar, and can’t find one in stock anywhere. Summit and others show them in stock when buying on-line, but then they dont have them. ADDCO says they will only make a batch of 10.

If you found some, may I know where; after you get yours first of course.

Thanks,

Rob

We purchased our ADDCO 588 last year. It might help to call ADDCO and ask when their next batch of sway bars will be fabricated. They will tell you which retailers have the product.

I installed the 1" addco bar in my 72 last year. I wound up using the polybushes from addco as well as the crappy addco mounting straps which required hole modification to make them fit. I haven’t noticed any squeaking in a few hundred miles.

~Mike

UPDATE on ADDCO 588 bar

After an in-depth investigation, the squeaking/fitment issue with the ADDCO sway bar wasn’t the bush, or the U-bracket hold, or the chassis mount. The problem was in the bar itself. The bends were not to Jaguar spec, so the ends rubbed against the shock absorbers. The bar needed to be mounted 1.5" forward (not possible due chassis obstructions) or re-bent to the right pattern. Instead, just went back to my original bar.

That’s strange. It fit’s fine in my 72. Close but no interference. Possibly a bad batch.

Frankly, on a large street sedan like the Jag, poly bushes are not going to buy you much.

There’s a reason they are rare, as OE offerings.

Good rubber bushes, with a larger bar, will be your best compromise.

1 Like