Synthetic Grease OK?

(Greg) #1

Probably a dumb question, but I haven’t lubed/greased a car’s suspension/wheel bearings since Reagan was president!

Now that synthetic grease is available, will it be OK to use synthetic wheel bearing grease for all my lube points on the XJS?

(Doug Dwyer) #2

Yup!

I’ve been using ‘modern’ wheel bearing grease for lube points (and u-joints) for years and years.

Decades ago it was common to buy and use ‘chassis grease’ for the suspension. It was a lower-grade product than wheel bearing grease. Nowadays it would probably take some effort to even find the old -style chassis grease.

Cheers
DD

(Robert Wilkinson) #3

Doug, what do you think of CV joint grease? It seems to be the most expensive.

Also, I remember some wheel bearing grease that contained filaments, making it want to stick together. Is that gone now?

(Paul Wigton) #4

Moly disulfide grease: made to resist the high shear forces in CV (Rzeppa) joints.

I’ve used it for ball joints, and it seems to work OK.

(Doug Dwyer) #5

I remember the lower-grade chassis grease being the stringy stuff with wheel bearing grease being creamy. But I’m harking back to the 70s now, so usual memory disclaimers apply :slight_smile:

Nowadays I use high-temp synthetic wheel bearing grease for almost everything.

One thing I’ve oft meant to research is how/when/if boat trailer wheel bearing grease can be used in automotive applications. It really stays put…you can hardly wipe it off your hands!.. and seems like it would have more water-resisting ability. Not sure about using it in high-temp applications but maybe for ball joints and suspension?

Cheers
DD

(Paul Wigton) #6

Ditto: got into using it for race car chassis.

(Kirbert - author of the Book, former owner of an '83 XJ-S H.E.) #7

The one note to add involves poly bushings. There are none in the OEM Jaguar chassis, but some owners like to upgrade to them – especially for the steering rack mounts, which fortunately don’t get lubed so not an issue here. Poly bushings can be incompatible with some greases; in fact, I think they are incompatible with hydrocarbons. The grease you’re supposed to use with poly bushings is red; whether or not that means it’s the same red grease that used to be needed for anything Girling, I dunno. Whatever, if you have any poly in your suspension, make sure to only use grease intended for use with poly.

(Greg) #8

Thanks, that’s what I thought, but JUST wanted to make sure.

I assume it’s OK to mix the two. If PO used non-synthetic grease, squeezing a bit of synthetic on top of that won’t do any harm?

I have no poly bushings, yet, but will remember that once I do.