Tachometer Choice in Converted 1972 XJ6

What are you using for a tach in your Series 1 Xj6 after converting to 350 Chev?

Got my 71 on the road now with 350 and turbo. Runs Super

Had it converted to modern internals… looks stock but works perfectly.

Red Line Gauge Works in CA… they did my current car and my other '72 XJ :LT1/700R… plus they do gauge work for all kinds of cars.

Hey thanks, Roger. Do you remember what it cost?

5/29/2004… $157.00 including shipping…I have all the receipts!

Interesting. Roger, you couldn’t just send the LT1 PCM tach signal to the Jag tach?

Thanks Roger. Sent it off this afternoon.

Nope. The Jag tach expects six cylinder pulses. The LT1 send in 8 cylinder pulses. It may read, but incorrectly.

Check Andrew Weinberg’s Jaguar-specialties site for means of altering the tach.

Mine was done as a part of the kit that I purchased from Johnscars.

Works great…

Speedo not so much!!!

Carl

Series 1 tach is a different animal… cannot use the “normal” conversion of resistor per Andrew…

I’ve got a conversion from spiyda on my S1. About 44 pounds (USD $55) plus postage from the UK (which is a lot cheaper than US postage).

Details on his site; it’s a board that replaces the stock CCT board, screws straight in, you’ll need to solder the leads on. Comes with a calibration lead that you connect to a smart phone.

Hey Roger, Redline has gone up in price a little. $305 now, but it was real quick turnaround.

It has been a while, you noticed the date of my last conversion.

I am sure it work perfectly as they do great work and do all kinds of custom stuff for all the seriuous
shops… can do most anything you desire for $$$.

I sure can.t complain, though. I basically did the entire conversion for free, selling off all the leftover parts from the parts car.

I’ll drive it for now with the 350 turbo and then come summer look for O.D. transmission.

Having had three Jag Lumps with 700R and one now with the 200R… I really prefer the 200R gear ratios… not as low in first but if your engine makes any kind of low end torque you will not miss the steeper low gear… the 200R does not lose as much RPM in the shift to 2d. the OD ratio is better so I turn less RPMs on the highway in 4th/OD. Just be sure to get the needed parts to adjust the TV cable properly (use a pressure gauge if in doubt)… have had mine now since 1997 with zero problems…

i used a GPS speedo. works great ,accurate, and no worries about gear ratios and tire size etc!

just turn the ignition on and needle sweeps the full face and goes back to zero!

so simple , try dakota Digital, and many others on net.

Ronbros

What happens when you go into a tunnel or lose GPS service? Dead speedo or does it maintain the last know speed? I have thought about getting one and saved a source…

Did you get one large enough to replace the stock Jaguar speedo?

Speedhut just introduced a small GPS box that has a short speedo cable that runs your original speedometer with GPS. Just saw it in Street Rodder today. Redline Gauge Works used Speedhut internals to update my tachometer.

Jagwagon

I looked at it and printed out the Mechanical Speedometer Drive Box installation instructions… it says it is for US speedos only.… will have to contact them about the Jaguar speedo…my S1 has S3 internals now and they go by TPM… maybe… it will work…

Next I will connect Redline Gauge Works as they did my Tach conversion.