Tachometer stopped in 1969 Series 2 E Type

My tachometer stopped working in my 1969 Ser 2 E Type. Is there a fuse related to the operation of this instrument or is it directly related to the ignition switch.

Yes, fuse #6. Ur horn and radiator fans should stop working if fuse is blown.

There are three wires to the tachometer, two white and one green. The white wires go to ignition.The green wire goes to fuse #7 (or is it #6?) but that fuse serves other functions so if the tach is the only thing not working then it points to a fault in the instrument. There are three internal capacitors that are common failure points after more than a half century.

What Nick said, but it could be a simple as a wire coming loose somewhere.

Thanks. I have read that I should be using AGC series fuses as replacement for the old british standards.

How do you access behind the panel with the tachometer? The other instrument panel pulls down giving access to the fuses.

Either from under the dash or remove the dash top. If you are limber enough, from under the dash is by far easier.

Sometimes when I start my car my tach doesn’t work, I just need to tap the face and it always starts working.

1 Like

You should not use AGC fuses as they are a different standard and completely different ratings. An AGC 10A to replace a British 10A would not blow until double the amount of current was passing. The modern British fuses work well.
You can’t get behind the speedo/tack panel but you can take the cover off below for some access.

1 Like

AGC fuses with approximately half the rating of the equivalent British stuff will be fine. Better than the Chinese repros. Here’s a good comparison:

Why do you want to get behind the tach? If the fuse is bad, you can tell from the panel, or just replace Fuse 6 and see if it comes back.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

I was just curious in case i need to check connections or send the tach out for repair.
Thank you

It’s a very fidgety process. You can reach up from below and undo the dogs that hold the tach to the panel, or you can remove the dash top. Small hands helpful. To be avoided until you run out of things to test.

+1 on the fuse question… British wiring will have what you need:

I’m suprised no-one has mentioned the generator at the back of the inlet side camshaft, could be as simple as a broken wire or bad connection at that point. In any case the thing needs to be checked that it’s working.

…because Jaguar was not using those in 1969.

1 Like

The one I owned did!

My '69 OTS does not have one. Build date of Sept '69.

Interesting. Did that tach have the clock mounted in it, or was the clock in the center of the instrument panel?

I’m only trying to help!!!. It is possible the car was a later model. But, what I do know is that it still exists. It was a series 1.5 or 2, first registered in UK in 1970. A 4.2 lt 3 SU carbs. I rebuilt the engine shortly after giving it a run in excess of 150mph (as per speedo), at which point, No 1 piston developed a melted hole, hence the rebuild. I clearly remember the generator at the camshaft. To answer the clock question, I seem to remember the clock was within the tacho, in the centre, low down.
BTW. I do NOT recommend driving your E type at that sort of speed. The front lifts of the ground like a aeroplane on take off. It has no steering and bounces uncontrollaby. decelleration to slow then brake. I still got it home on 5 cylinders.