Talking points about the XJS

I’m don’t have a history of talking shop with people, as Jaguars are the only cars that I’ve gotten into extensively.

When talking with people that inevitably want to talk about the car, I’m not exactly sure what makes them unique. Inboard disc brakes come to mind, but other than that I’m not sure what’s peculiar or noteworthy. To me an XJ6 and an XJS are just the way cars are made.

What’s some good talking points when discussing an XJS?

1 Like

That it’s more pleasant in use than one would think from examining its individual parts? :slight_smile:

That there is a right way, a wrong way and a Jaguar way to design and build a thing.
Least until Ford got involved, to some degree.

More seriously, it’s largely in the aesthetics for me. While they aren’t as bad as most people think, there were way better cars in every measurable way from the era. However they are indeed beautiful, quirky, mechanically different vehicles and there is a charm to them. And after a string of Mercedes and BMW’s and Volvo’s and VW’s and such for a few decades it’s hard to find something really automotively interesting. The XJS is.

1 Like

the style of the body is what appealed to me first… as far as I was concerned it could have had a four cylinder engine and I would have been happy… speed or power mean little to me as I get older… my xjs is nice to drive once I get squeezed into the seat and it has a very solid feeling. I just feel like it’s something everyone else hasn’t got in my neighborhood.

2 Likes