Technical Problems With the Website?

What’s with all the technical issues of late? Has the Corona virus gotten into the website or something? Lot of times I can’t even connect to the site, other times it says “down for maintenance” and sometimes when it does connect it takes forever to actually pop up. Other times, it lets me type up a post but when I go to hit “post” it takes several seconds before it actually does. :confused:

1 Like

We’re experiencing heavy loads at times, for reasons we’ve not entirely figured out. We’re contemplating increasing our capacity with Amazon AWS to handle these occasions, but that doubles our monthly operating cost.

I tried to log on at 0100 and it said down for maintenance. First time it happened to me in 20 years. I was devastated haha

1 Like

This looks more like an internal server problem. I’m working on resolving the issue, but it looks like I’m going to have to shut down the server for a bit in order to do some maintenance.

3 Likes

Search isn’t working either. Get 502 error all the time.

FWIW Gunnar, I also get 502 and I think 504 errors.

Same here, maybe we should donate more? :grimacing:
Sometimes posts don’t upload at all or it is just very slow to respond.

I wrote this ten hours ago. This is bad.

Thank you @gunnar and the admins for all you do!

2 Likes

Yes, we’re running out of memory on the server, which means I need to switch us to a larger instance (virtual server) on Amazon. Which, of course, in turn costs more money. But here we are …

But why the sudden increase? Lockdown, a change in software…
In the meantime, what’s the best measures we can take to ensure everyone in need has some access at least?
Emails, no emails, no pictures, search forums via google…?

But why the sudden increase? Lockdown, a change in software… and if it was user load, shouldn’t it be around western daytime-?
In the meantime (until this get fixed, If fixable), what’s the best measures we can take to ensure everyone in need has some access at least?
Emails, no emails, no pictures, search forums via google…?

Well, you might be the owner Gunnar but we are very clearly the beneficiaries of the service so if it costs more to keep it running well, I for one say, tell us how much more you need.

1 Like

Much higher volume of posts lately, so when the system did its weekly maintenance, the database ground the server to a halt.

It’s fixed. I created a new server image (the wonders of virtualization!), updated it to all the latest tech, and fired it up with an instance type with twice the resources of the old.

Hopefully this one will have enough horsepower to manage the increase in volume.

Gunnar

4 Likes

Thank you for your work

1 Like

Thanks Gunnar, most of us can only guess at the amount of hair pulling you have been going through over the last few hours.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your efforts!

1 Like

Let me add my thanks. You two, Gunnar and Nick, do a great job.

Everybody check your license plate number, and if the last number is even, you can only login on even days. If it’s odd, then you get odd days.
:wink:

2 Likes

All -
I just did what I have put off doing for too long and signed up for the “Patron” thing. I’ve donated in the past, but like many of us I had sort of told myself that my participation in the forums was “doing my part.” BS. That don’t pay the bills. Everyone: If you have not made a significant donation recently I respectfully challenge you to sign up for some level of “Patron.” It costs about the same as 2 gallons of gas.
-Bob

So, about $2.50? :laughing:

1 Like