TEFBA coolant filter results

The effectiveness of the TEFBA filters has been well reported in the past but my recent observation surprised me.
I fitted a pair of TEFBA coolant filters about 6 months ago and as per instructions I used the course filters first and then did an inspection after a couple of weeks of using the car. Although I had the radiator rodded, replaced the coolant hoses and flushed the block prior I was told to expect debris that had been loosened by work done. To my surprise there was no debris in either filter. Because of this I left the course filter in place for an extended period.
Now at 6 months I checked again expecting to find little or nothing in the filters, however I found a layer of rust particles on both magnets and a quantity of silica.
See pics. Most of the silica was lying at the bottom of the filters but some had jamed into the filter mesh. I’ve cleaned this out and put the fine filters in now.

After 34 years of use the block still gives up silica capable of compromising a radiator. The surprise was that this didn’t happen immediately but seemingly rather progressively.

Regards Trev

2 Likes

Wow!! Just curious, roughly how many miles did you drive it in those 6 months?

I should have written it down but no more than 1k as I have been on holidays.
The amount of silica was surprising but so was the amount rust sludge stuck to the magnets. I now have an idea where all that crud filling the catchment tank and crossover pipe came from in the restoration clean out.
Trev

I presume it all depends on the previos services… According my cars service history it looks like it has always been serviced by official Jaguar dealer who always followed the rule of adding “crap” to the cooling system…
Althow there were no signs of overheating, but this is how filters look after 100 mile drive.

1 Like

Yep. I think the service instructions was something like 2 cans of B…s stop-leak (or similar) twice a year.
I changed the course screen for the fine one at last report and have had no over heating problems. I will have a look at them in a couple of weeks and report back.
Trev

I still left the coarse filters in as I think it is still too early for fine ones for me :slight_smile: but it is good to know that fine filters don’t cause any cooling problems as from first glance they look somewhat restrictive.