Tell me if I’m wrong

Hi all,
So I was wanting to buy a headliner for m coupe and looking around I saw a few options. Most kits only offered the material to recover the sun visors, but these guys apparently offered completely new ones in their kit. Of course it was more expensive, almost double the price. But it was on sale, which made it about the same $$. So I bought it. When it showed up, no sun visors. Just material like the rest.

Over a period of over a month, I had several phone calls and text messages. They’re refusing to do anything about it. I’m feeling like I’ve been deceived. Am I wrong?

Their ad clearly showing complete visors

!

Other ads clearly just show the material to recover your old visors
image|690x490

is this their palm springs division?

Yes. Southern California

BAS has a shop by the Palm Springs airport. Been there. They are reputed to be difficult to deal with, slow to fill orders - heard this from several of their customers. They do very high quality work IME. K & H on the other hand are very easy to deal with, with very prompt service - I’ve bought a lot from them. While not a satisfactory answer I suspect you could obtain the material to do your visors from them.

1 Like

The problem is I already bought it, and didn’t get what their ad shows. I’m feeling like they advertised one thing, and sold me another.

Return it for a refund and purchase from another vendor. I doubt you’re going to get them to send you the visors.

If I go to their web site and look at their video for the headliner and sunvisor, where they describe what is in the kit they state, at about the 3:30 mark hat the standard kit comes with just the cloth covering. The video then goes on to explain why you ought to buy their molded sunvisors (the one’s laying on the table in the picture which is a shot from the video) because the originals are likely shot.

When you go to the SHOP section and click on the FHC button and then the headliner section it gives you what you show in your picture but the picture on the web site is actually a video that explains in detail what you get in the standard kit. It’s the same video I discussed above. Looking at the related products at the bottom of that page It’s a bit odd that the do not list the visors they are suggesting you buy in the video. But the video does state they aren’t part of the kit.

Their presentation of what is in the kit could be better, IMO.

Hey John

I’m on my iPad, which is where I do all my shopping, and when I click on the picture I get nothing… no video. Same on my iPhone. What bugs me is they have a picture with the complete visors. And then two paragraphs of text, non of which even remotely hints at the idea of not getting what’s in the photo. Or that you should watch a video.

With this logic, if someone orders a set of door panels, do they just get the material to cover the old ones?

Here’s what I see on my desktop monitor.

The web site is misleading. Intentional? I’d guess not, but without the video how is a customer to know some of what is in the picture is extra cost. And, there is nothing that tells you to go to the video for a complete description of the kit.

2 Likes

Bob,
It is a bad image to show but of course they described it correctly. If you feel ripped off, return their kit and buy another is the best advice I’ve seen here. Talking them into a free set of visors isn’t likely, but maybe a discount on a purchase is possible if you want to go that route.

Where did you see they described it correctly? On my screenshot you can see there is no indication of a video and there is no text.

Returning it is not that easy or inexpensive. It’s almost 4 feet long and 6” around… so it’s not like I can just drop it in the mailbox…

I don’t know whether the following will help you convince BAS to view your claim sympathetically or not, but for what it’s worth I viewed their website with a number of different browsers on my Windows 7 (I live in the dark ages!) laptop. NOTE: I was viewing the section accessible via the SHOP part pf the website. If I looked at other parts of the web site, the illustration was clearly identified as a VIMEO video, with a white triangle in the lower left hand corner. However, if you use the SHOP link to get to the headliner item, I got different behaviour for each of the browers I tried:

• Chrome - a small transparent white bordered square in the center of the picture, with no solid white triangle in the center.

• Firefox - a small transparent white bordered square in the center of the picture with some unintelligible characters inside

• IE - no visible indication that there is a video present at all

• Chrome under Android (phone) - a small transparent white bordered square in the center of the picture with lines across the diagonals.

In all cases, if you click in the center of the illustration, the video plays, which explains the visor issue, but first you have to realize that there is something to click…

I won’t second guess what BAS will do with such a complaint, but will just re-iterate what we’ve said on this forum before: All vendors will make mistakes. It’s how they handle them that differentiates one from the rest…

Good luck
-David

2 Likes

Bob,
I completely understand why you’re upset but if you click on the video that is in the web page description and watch it – the narrator explains what you get in the standard kit. Just fabric covers for the visors not complete visors which are available at an extra cost.

Right, but there is no prompt for the potential buyer to sit through a 7minute video to understand what is in the kit. And apparently depending on the hardware and software you use to view the shop page there is no reason to suspect there is a video. I mean, how hard would it have been for BAS to add a few lines to the text under the picture saying “Here’s What You Get”, followed by a list of materials.

2 Likes

Agree completely. 20 characters

1 Like

Hi Bob, sorry to hear your disappointment. When I look at the product description, including the static picture, I’m left wondering what is the total list included in the kit. For example, is the top element showing a white image a foam roll and what does that say about the main fabric? Are visors part of headliners?What non-fabric hardware is included? This type of picture and lack of listing makes me call a vendor for more complete discussion. Then I clicked the video, which gives a detailed description that informs me and will make my phone call shorter, but still a phone call.

While sorry for your present upset, thanks for this thread guiding towards the video, it has some useful tidbits about the backing foam material that can be assessed for better tolerance in the application. In past years on some cars I have had disappointment when finger pushes left indentations. And separation from the roof in Southern California sun is not so rare an event.

Some years ago I used BAS for my Mark V saloon. Superb materials and fit overall. One minor matter BAS was gruff about and I solved it with local trimmer. Gruffness put aside, I’ve been delighted with their materials for many years now. Price was a bit higher than some of the competition and I am happy with the end result.

K&H are nearby, several of my friends have used them at their shop with results they enjoy. You can see some of those cars on the K&H gallery.

Sorry you have an element of disappointment. Best wishes on arriving at a fine looking headliner and visors.

1 Like

Not that this is worth much at this point, but bought my sunvisors from BAS twenty five years ago. At the the time, they were in British Columbia. The sunvisors were completely assembled, and of very high quality. They’re still in the car.

This is just a reminder how lucky the Jag community is: AFAIK, there’s not a single vender offering new upholstery, of any kind, for Rovers…:grin:

How did you pay ? Do they accept credit cards ? Years ago, they did not…