Temporary Garages - 'Car Tents'

A regular theme from classic car owners is the lack of storage space when looking to entirely reasonably and understandably expand or augment the fleet. An additional car / bike / whatever is often justifiable in spirit, for example, “Well I can use this one whilst the other one is being repaired…” and so on. I would ask if any have experience of the temporary garage, or car tent as I think they might best be called – costing around £400 for a decent size.tent

For me it’s all out the climate conditions. You need good airflow which in/ at most times of the year is not a big deal but from autumn through to April may you might end up with lots of condensation/wet/damp days with the car covered in moisture. If both ends of the building are open then it’s not so bad.

that one looks good and tough

the cheap ones are subject to the following problems (in Australia)

• Hot sun causes insufficient lifespan (not a UK issue, I would think)

• short thunderstorms with 100kmph winds tend to destroy them, these usually occur more than once per year, (dont know if thats a feature of your local weather)

I’ve got two 20x10 ones. Plastic sheeting on the ground helps tremendously with the condensation. I don’t know if I’d put my Jaguar under one. Helps free up space in the garage though.

That one looks good enough for mother in law visits.

I bought one for my previously dry stored Daimler v8 while I got it prepared for the road ie. rustproofing and window seals etc. It was a heavy duty 20’ Dancover unit with metal pegs and concrete blocks along the aprons. Within 3 weeks it ended up in bits. To be fair I am in West Cork and we get some horrible weather but I watched this go in one big gust which burst the end door and blew it up like a balloon before it took off.So its your choice but I am sticking to concrete!