That's the brakes

I went to an antique/vintage motorcycle show in St. Augustine, FL. The bikes were old and so were the vendors, exhibitors, and viewing participants.
Under one of the vendor’s 10x10 tents were a few attractive young ladies hawking prostate meds & treatment. They were giving away cutaway foam prostate foam “stress” squeeze balls. It was a textbook case of knowing your market! It still cracks me up

1 Like

One last question:
Is there any evidence that E type brake systems last longer with a particular brand and type of brake fluid? I had a restorer tell me I had to use Castrol LMA or suffer the consequences. I has been using Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3&4 which IIRC, the esteemed Jerry Mouton used. in his E.
I am now renewing my master cylinder as discussed. Any thoughts?

David, it seems to me that you got 18 years from a system using Valvoline. I would say that is pretty good.
Tom

David,

I don’t think it matters which Dot 3/4 fluid you use as long as you change it often enough to limit the absorbed water that it will contain over time. Castrol LMA (Low Water Absorbtion) makes a point of advertising it’s low rate of absorbtion, but I’ve not seen any evidence that it absorbs less than other brands or not. I used to use it myself, but more recently the FLAPS I use has not stocked it, so I used another name brand. If it absorbs a water a little faster, you can change it a little more frequently…

Not to open a can of worms, but I use silicone fluid in my old cars, but only when the entire braking system has been rebuilt first. No problems in 20+ years.

William, does not need to be a can of worms. Everyone has preferences based on their priorities. I have used both at times. If you are happy with it, use it.
Tom

I have changed the fluid lets say about every two years. But I have come to realize I’ve had this leak going on for 2-3 years. LMA is unremarkable compared to racing brake fluid (as per Pegasus Racing web site) from a dry/wet boiling point. I’m not sure that is even relevant since race fluid is renewed so frequently (I would think).
Boiling point is one thing, but I cannot find any spec on water absorption tendencies which is the “toy car” nemesis.
And SAE wants $81 to read their white paper on brake fluid. That’s a lot of BF.
I’ll order Castrol Advanced Performance DOT 4 Brake Fluid and cover all my bases since it replaced LMA.

Hemmings on brake fluid