The '38 SS saloon runs!

This morning I painted a Mark V door, and rather than watching the paint dry, used my free afternoon to see what I could do with the '38 SS.

I traced and labeled the spark plug wires to make sure they were in correct firing order and timed more or less right. Yucky yellow but they are actually in pretty good condition. Eclectic group of plug terminals, some perhaps from old lawn mowers? I’ll save the Champion on the right for my XK120.

I don’t know what sort of terminals a '38 should have, perhaps bare ring terminals and knurled nuts on the plugs?

I had already restored the starter, ignition coil and battery terminals a few months ago.
Connected the battery. Took off the air cleaner intake and tipped a spoonful of gas in each carb throat. Turned on the key, pressed the starter button and cough cough varoom! Only two seconds on a spoonful of gas, but it seemed to be smooth and quiet. So I did it again. Immediately two more seconds of Varoom!

So now 4 out of my 5 Jags could be said to be more or less in running condition.
Good excuse for an ice cream celebration.

2 Likes

Thanks, I can virtually taste it.

Interesting that I got a message on the screen that you were replying; I hadn’t seen that feature of the new website before now.

Congrats on engine start!

What I ALWAYS say, at that moment…

“It’s ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!”

:wink:

Yesterday and today I ran it for a few minutes.
It was quiet and not much smoke, perhaps mostly water vapor because it was cold. The tailpipes dripped water.
The mechanical automatic advance seems to be working.
The starting carb solenoid has a switch under the dashboard, rigged up by some PO.
It has a tendency to cough when increasing from idle speed, but then it will speed up ok.
I may get to drive it a bit before the snow hits. :grin:

2 Likes