The $46,000 E-Type

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the scam E-Type sales on eBay have one thing in common. They are “Classified Ads”, and list the selling price as exactly $46,000. The current $46,000 car is a 1968 OTS - the real car 1E16548 depicted in the photos is in the Netherlands, but the description is lifted from another car entirelly from Minnesota (unless that one is a scam too, which is quite possible…). I wonder if $46,000 has been chosen as the optimal asking price, that will attract the maximum number of gullible buyers…? If you see a car for sale for $46,000, beware…

1 Like

The owners all all these sites (Ebay, Facebook and Google to a certain extent etc) are so busy shoveling cash into there bank accounts, they do not police there own content adequately.

Only yesterday Ebay allowed a “seller” to list 3 whole pages of classic cars in the classified ad section the gmail addresses and buy it now prices. Every single advert was fraudulent.

They were up for at least a day, I guess Ebay benefited from about £10 a listing.

Nothing will change until some of the owners of the websites are made responsible for this extreme content and end up being threatened with a jail sentence.

2 Likes

Alot, I’m not sure why they are using so many ETYPEs but , BE CAREFUL…
Most have to do with getting into you paypal or email accounts.
Its glaring if your in the know. If not its ugly.
Same pictures used from other sites. .
A lot from New Jersey.No answers never responds, pictures pulled from other sites.
Truly be careful.

Iconic. Recognized by the most casual of car people. They made enough of them to make tracking individual cars difficult; impossible to pull similar scams with a Ferrari 250 or Ford GT40. Exotic but common enough (comparative low price) so the potential bidder base is large.

I would never pay over 35K for a fake car. This is how you know you’re getting old, when you look at the price of something and refuse to acknowledge the fact that inflation is a reality. It even affects things that aren’t real.

When I have a doubt, I grab a long string of words and Google search that string in parentheses. If legit, (and sometimes not legit) an ad will typically come up in different legitimate places with the same description. Car trader, Hemmings, etc.

Googling the image is next. Only after it looks somewhat OK will I go another step.

I sold an MGA recently on Hemmings. The buyer asked me to take a specific picture. I did, I’m sure he was testing to see if I actually had the car at hand.

Your remark struck me as particularly funny and at the same time perceptive. I really think (I’m not joking) that “It even affects things that aren’t real” will work its way into the world of ‘sayings’.

1 Like