The black fan replacement

Went to Napa and they do not have a listing for the Black Fan, EBC 4553.

Need help on where to purchase it. Thanks

I got mine at FCP Euro.

It’s the black Eurospare fan. $80

1 Like

Welsh. $63.95 + $12. shipping.

Hello Greg - what, or where, is “FCP Euro” - is the black replacement fan a direct fit for the old yellow fan, and is the black fan a metal or a plastic fan - thanks, Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 10/13/2020 1602hrs. EDT USA.

FCP Euro is in Conn, i think, online parts. I use them a lot for my Volvos. They have little for Jaguar.

Yes, black fan is plastic, bolts up identical like yellow.

I really don’t understand all the hallaballoo about yellow vs. the black fan, esp. after I learned this very same “defect-prone” (supposedly) yellow fan has been used also on the sedans/saloons for ages … My XJ40s, X-300 and, IIRC, even my XJ8 all have them, and I have never had one of their fans come apart, “explode”, etc. on me … Am I just lucky, or is somehow only the V-12s having a problem with them (i.e. throw more RPMs)? :confused:

Thanks Greg for the seller info - my 1991 XJS V12 has the black fan already - my 1986 XJS V12 has the yellow fan - on close inspection I can see where there are cracks starting on the yellow fan (just as described in Kirby’s book about this problem other owners had) so I will be getting a black fan for the '86 - no sense in waiting to see when it comes apart - I do not know if the black fan, on the '91 is an original or not as I am not the original owner - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 10/13/1729HRS. EDT USA.

Often wondered if it’s just b/c the fan is black you can’t SEE the cracks as easily as with the yellow one … :stuck_out_tongue: But then again I think whenever you order a replacement fan from Jag they always send the black version, so maybe even the co. admits (by implication) their yellow fan had “issues” … :thinking:

On of the first things I did, when I acquired the '91, was to check the fan - with a slight cleaning and finger nail rubbing, I was not able to detect any “cracks” - once I am able to do a better clean-up, I will be doing a closer inspection - it is my understanding that the black fan is made “better” to try to avoid the blade cracks - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 10/13/2020 1741hrs. EDT USA.

I compared the black and yellow fans many years ago (things might have changed). At that time the fans were different in more than colour. One (don’t remember which) had a smaller hub and therefore longer blades. IIRC the difference made sense to me in terms of stress on the blades. It’s difficult to clearly remember details from my pre-senescent days. :slight_smile:

I have not seen cracks on mine…do not drive at high rpms…only 46000 miles…but it is a 1988… I would change it if I have to work on radiator as a matter of course…BTW… what is best way to remove hood temporarily…which bolts etc

Very easy to remove fan/clutch, just four nuts. 10 minutes.

While you are replacing fan, you may as well replace clutch. $30 for the part. Hayden 2665, fits perfectly. That’s what I did, and my engine stays decently cool at idle with just the mechanical fan. If it’s the original yellow fan, it’s probably the original failing clutch.

Good suggestion Greg - is the Hayden 2665 a part number at an auto parts store - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 10/13/2020 2041hrs. EDT USA.

Direct fit replacement fan, all prices to choose from:

Just do a google search for Hayden 2665 and you will find thousands of results…

Not a bad price, either … I have seen some vendors selling these things for 2x that much on Ebay :money_mouth_face: That’s why I always hit the “ranking” selection button when I’m on there, from lowest price to highest. I really think some of those sneaky, greedy sellers are counting on impatient or careless buyers w. $$ :moneybag: who just jump on the first item for sale that they come across, hoping to make a windfall off the sale. :money_with_wings: Esp, when you sometimes see the same vendor selling the same product for several different prices. :thinking: