The definitive and only E-type prices rising/falling/whatever thread!

Hi Danny,
The article credits many of the usual Aussie suspects, including Ian Cummins,Terry McGrath, O&S, Steve Sulis. Let me know if you are unable to get a back issue from Jag World and I will try and copy this one. Unfortunately, the mag is starting to fall apart, but I could possibly photograph or scan it, but the quality won’t be marvellous.

1 Like

Let me know how these are; I can try and rescan them if you like.

3 Likes

Sorry, I thought I had sent that to Danny via message.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin great read

CONFIRMED…this week on BAT a blue 2+2 sold in California for 36,500 and the exact same 2+2 had sold in 2020 in Arizona for 28500 with nothing changed (death)

Then yesterday (5/5/23) “shauneagle” sold a black '67 for 240k while 13 month ago (7/12/22) he sold another '67 for 340k and (3/27/22) a '66 for 340k and (2/20/22) a '66 for 305k…same seller, all in Scottsdale, Arizona, all on Bring a Trailer (BAT)…all 4 Jaguar E Types convertible 66 or 67 fully restored

CONFIRMED…20-30%

The bloom is off…

Mitch

It’s across the board for sure, the ‘flash in the pan’ outliers are forever used as backboards for future enterprising sellers, the comparison of which is really just a storyline to entice the uneducated to unload their wallets.

I work on them everyday, be it my own or customers cars, and I will never understand any series selling for north of $200k, or $150k quite honestly, save for the halo cars of course.

E-Types have this uncanny ability to regenerate yet another lower mileage, more original or very nicely restored example that hasn’t seen daylight nor a new owner in decades.

North of 72k cars produced tends to drive that though - sometimes I think we all need to publicize that fact more - the well ain’t ever going to dry up! :wink:

1 Like

I have to agree with your assessment, and perhaps the bloom is starting to come off the rose. Of course investors will continue to chase these cars in the hopes that they will hold their value. We all know how uncertain these times are, and a prudent person needs to wait and watch. Having owned five, and the current one is a major project, it makes no sense to put this kind of value on these or any car for that matter.

It’s an interesting discussion for sure: Mitch, Jeff: are you talking all cars, Jaguar’s in general or E-Types only?

I can certainly agree for E-types, and to some extent to Jaguars in general, but what is being paid now for the likes of Delta Integrales, 964’s and 993’s -to give some examples- and also some others like even Golfs GTI MkI/II, selling into territories, well I had never thought possible.

To me it’s not an investor trend, it’s -unfortunately- more specific.

Best,

Ll.

E-Types specifically in terms of overall value, but the market as a whole is definitely getting soft in a hurry.

The benchmark for me personally is Porsche values. I am finally seeing mid-year 911’s relax as well as later turbo cars.

There is no reason on earth anyone should be paying $50-80k for a vanilla bean 911 SC or earlier, post ‘74 911S. I used to gauge market longevity on Ferrari sales, but they are now too unpredictable, whereas the 911 market is just jammed packed with results.

3 Likes

Yes jeff, this is all agreed. But there is another phonomenon going on: the increases on values of a different generation of cars, in particular from the 80’s. For the rest, yes 100% with you and for the record, i also found the prices of some machinery really absurd.

I subscribed to the Sports Car market Platinum Database a few years ago, and compiled a spreadsheet of specific E-Type auction values from 2012 - 2020 until the beginning of the pandemic. (No surprise, the representative model is the one I own.)

As the world quarantined, BaT became the go-to auction site and they post a graph of results, so I dropped my subscription to the Platinum Database in 2020.

It took me awhile to catch up from last summer, but here are the results for discussion, if anyone is interested.

JAGUAR E-TYPE SERIES 1 4.2 ROADSTER AUCTION VALUES 2012 - 2023 TO DATE (Before Open Headlights at VIN 1E14535, 1/11/1967)

Total Auction Sales: $35,287,559
Average Hammer/RNM Price: $164,895

AUCTION YEAR----AVERAGE HAMMER / RNM PRICE
2012--------------------117,012
2013--------------------148,116
2014--------------------167,775
2015--------------------188,855
2016--------------------175,007
2017--------------------193,248
2018--------------------164,841
2019--------------------154,916
2020--------------------115,985
2021--------------------161,148
2022--------------------181,630
2023 (to date)--------195,000

Notes:

1. BaT results begin in 2016, as of their reporting start date.
  2. I stopped tabulating physical auction results when the pandemic killed the venues in February 2020.
  3. Values are for cars in all conditions, from concours to drivers
  4. Project cars are not included

My thoughts:

Whenever there’s a downturn, doom and gloom is always predicted. And whenever there’s an upturn, many chime in and say “it won’t last forever because of ‘x’.”

Consider that the latest buzz comes from the recent Hagerty article claiming that boomer buyers of E-Types are aging out. If that’s true, then we should expect a permanent decline in Ferraris and Porsches from the 60s also, not to mention 1930s Duesenbergs, Talbot-Lagos and Bugattis, as those buyers aged out two generations ago. But…no.

Most important, if you read the comments after the article, many of the respondents are millennial car enthusiasts who say they’d love to have an E-Type, but can’t afford one. Many of these youngsters will one day have the disposable income to buy their cars of choice, likely to include vintage Jaguars, Ferraris, Porches, Alfas, etc.

Another point: Sports Car Market in their column “Buy, Sell, Hold” parroted the Haggerty article last month, with a solid “Sell.”. What’s interesting is that in the last few years, they’ve had E-Types in the “Sell” column three times, but never in “Buy” or “Hold.”

Statistics be damned, I’m not selling mine!

3 Likes

Brings to mind what we used to say about my company’s actuaries… “They predicted 9 of the last 3 downturns”.

7 Likes

Tom, its precisely my point there us no down turn (yet) but rather fashion: SI in general and FHC seem to me very solid but no more than stable. Porsches and lots of 80’s material (look at genuine Delta Integrale Lancias) have exploded in values. Bugattis and some Ferraris and Bentleys play on another league so let us leave them aside. But many Jags, incl. other etype breeds have really not followed. Even in the data you post, for a very solid model a SI FHC, there is no movement since 2015.

I guess for some of us (many I hope) cars are not just an investment, no matter how anyone likes his possessions being of high value. I guess we like to drive them and work on them, hence selling or not selling is not just a matter of market.

I wonder how the values relate to salaries.
When I bought my 3.8 in 1976, it cost $5k, the equivalent of 1 year’s salary, 5 years later sold it for $10K, again, 1 year’s salary. 2003 paid $35K , you guessed it, about 1 years worth and sold it 9 years later for $60, a bit over my then salary of $55. So, up to then , basically just keeping abreast of inflation. Here in NZ, currently the prices are all over the place, way ahead of what I would currently be earning were I earning anything, but they don’t seem to be selling for that money, so who knows?

Ain’t that the truth! A couple of fire damaged cars via insurance a year or so back went for stupid money, but even they were eclipsed by the recent flood damaged one, which wasn’t even running pre flood, wasn’t a good car to start with, and still sold for $158,888. Nuts :peanuts:

The issue for the E is the large production numbers though - no one can ever (has ever?) said I want an “X” and not been able to locate the same, sometimes within minutes (maybe not the spec or budgeted price of preference, but you get the point).

The only Ferrari’s that can be compared being the Testarossa (11k built IIRC), 308 / 328, 348 and 355, etc. as any contemporaries of the E-Type are stratospherically more valuable and have maintained that blue chip price point regardless of macroeconomic conditions.

My 2 cents, E-Type’s as investments are horrible, and restoring a roach is a huge financial mistake. The winners have (mostly) already cashed in - being those who paid period prices 30-45 years ago (sub $5-10k) and have risen with the tide.

1 Like

Lucky me! And the rest of us who’ve held on to one since the 70s.

One thing the E-Type has going for it is it’s a close to the feeling of a Ferrari as anything can get. And it fits right in on the highway with modern traffic. I maintain that people with means will want to be seen in these cars for many years to come. It’s why there’s one in the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art.

3 Likes

Its a curious comparison, but the values of Ferraris are not really impacted by their ability to sit in traffic.

1 Like

Jeff: large production numbers do not explain much (adding to uncertainty). Original 60’s minis are through the roof, as well as mass produced 964 Porsches. Astons Virages, despite being extremely rare, are comparatively worthless set next to a much more mundane 911 air-cooled of the era, let alone a turbo.

Like many of you, I suspect, I lusted after '60’s V12 Ferraris, GTB, GTC, Superfast , Lusso etc, and, of course, all the contemporary road tests waxed lyrical. But, years later when they began being tested by classic mags, they were more inclined to point out the warts as well, and, quite frankly, I wouldn’t want one now. If you think running an E Type is difficult and expensive, just imagine finding someone COMPETENT to rebuild a Ferrari V12, noting especially that they are not reknowned for being long lasting anyway. As the saying goes, the two best days of a Ferrari owner’s life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it. At least an XK engine is well within the capabilities of a good home mechanic.

4 Likes