The J.C.N.A. Loan-a-Tool Program

I was checking out the J.C.N.A. website last night, trying to find out information on whether our local “competitive” club to the original club was still around and a member, and happened to notice on there a link to a Jag tool loaner program. I was not aware of this program before now. :open_mouth: They show on there the standard '90s MY Jag factory service literature which lists and shows drawings of all the Jag-specific tools, their parts #s, etc., giving the impression that any of these tools may be borrowed under the program. The one I am especially interested in is the factory cruise control tester, to find out specifically what is wrong with Superblue’s, which went down a few months ago. :frowning_face: I didn’t know Jag even had one of those (although there is a “:homemade” version of one in the Book). I have replaced every component in the system with known good used ones, except the dump valve (it is my understanding it is very rare for those to go bonkers), and it still will not operate again. :confounded:

Curious as to whether anyone on here has ever availed themselves of the program and, if so how was it? (also whether anyone has loaned their tools to J.C.N.A. to be a part of the program). :smile: Seems like a pretty “trusting” arrangement, since it mentions that some of those tools are the only known ones still around (like maybe a WORKING J.D.S.?), making them “unique”. :grimacing:

The tool loan program was set up a few years ago when I was President with George Camp pushing it through and making it happen. We have had many tools donated to the point where there are duplicates and more. Pretty much every factory tool for Jaguars are available for loan and some for purchase. You need to be either a JCNA member or a Coventry Foundation Patron to use the program. A deposit is required which you get back when the tool is returned undamaged. You only pay round trip shipping unless you want to pick up in Columbia, SC or Oceanside, CA. All of this is listed out on the JCNA site under tool loan.

3 Likes

As you may be aware, I don’t do car clubs: that said, the tool loan program seems like a helluva good thing.

Were I currently a wrench, Id certainly not mind being a JCNA member just for that.

3 Likes

I have used the tool loan program recently and it was great. Very easy and quick delivery via UPS. The club takes a credit card deposit on the particular tool, deservedly so.

1 Like

I just wish I could join JCNA thru the national organization and their website, rather than thru a local club. PITA, especially with COVID and no meetings to attend. Why they go at it this old fashioned way is beyond me. I was a member a few years ago, and it took forever for the local club to send anything to the national club and for me to get acknowledged by national. Even renewals go thru this antiquated process. I’m also a member of BMW CCA and the Mercedes club, and joining online is instantaneous. It’s like JCNA doesn’t want new members.

That would a hard ‘NO!’ for me, if I had to join a club.

:face_vomiting:

I should clarify. They do have a “member at large” program, at 3X the cost of joining thru a local club! That makes even less sense.

A triple hard NO…

probably because they are all volunteers, possibly older, and prefer to do things the way they want.

I have encountered various manifestations of this attitude within (any) club officials

most older clubs also have regulations that were put in place for reasons such as encouraging membership of local clubs, and the constitution cannot be easily altered

It isn’t just an “older” thing, I see it all the time with clubs and societies I’ve wanted to join. Someone feels the need to be in charge, and uses the arcane rules and regulations to maintain that control. It comes down to personalities, and not common sense for what is best for all. Worst among them are housing associations, I would never, ever buy a house that had one attached.

“I wouldn’t belong to any club that would have me as a member.”

2 Likes

Hi Paul, Our clubs , Michigan, annual dues are $65 and as a membership at large basic dues are $100 that’s hardly three times. If you’re not a club type person that’s fine as most people find that, in our case, the monthly club news newsletter and the bi monthly Jagusr Journal alone are worth the cost.

1 Like

When we set up the program, the only way we could be insurance coverage is if it were only available to members. It took a good bit of time and effort to set it up and make it happen. Seems to be working fine so far. Non members seem to be upset that they cannot borrow tools. That is one of the drawbacks. There are approx 65 clubs from Canada to Mexico and the dues vary. You do not have to show up in person to be a member. Peter Crespin was a member when he was still in England. The higher price for the MAL is to encourage people to join a club. Jaguar had a promotion to get a very large rebate on a new car for JCNA members. JCNA ended up processing a lot of paper work so an individual could save thousands and not be in a member club.

1 Like

I just found out that the current rates are $100 for the first year as MAL and $50 per year thereafter. Here are some pictures of some of the items available

This is just a small representation of what is available. Hard tools are not pictured. Well over 400 different ones available for loan covering from the early SS cars to the latest models.

1 Like

Hi All
Dick is correct about the Member at Large Fees. Thanks Dick.
I should add that JCNA now has a west Coast Presence for Toll Loan program. When JCNA member make a request for a Tool Loan. George looks to see what tools are available and the closest location and tools are shipped from either North Carolina or Southern Cal.
An extensive set of documentation is held at both locations.
Many JAG enthusiasts find that the Tool Loan program and Jaguar Journal are great reasons to join a JCNA Club or as a MAL and that membership overall is a great bargain…
If anybody is having problems joining please let me know.
Les H JCNA President 2019-2020

1 Like

If I joined now, member at large, when would I renew? As I recall, JCNA membership is by calendar year, not anniversary of joining. Would I pay $100 now and another $50 at the end of year for 2021?

Hi
Members at Large are on a calendar yer basis If you join now it is $100 and then $50 renewal 12 months after you join.

Dick,
As a long time JCNA member and user of the JCNA Tool Loan Program I deeply appreciate all the hard work that you, George Camp, and many other went through to save these valuable Jaguar factory and dealership tools and make them available to JCNA members for the cost of shipping and a small cleaning fee. Without your initiative these tools would have been junked and destroyed forever. The Tool Loan Program has always worked out nicely for me, as the last thing that I needed was to buy another expensive tool (if I could even find one) that I would only use on rare occasions and otherwise take up space and collect dust. :clap: :clap: :clap:
There will always be those who won’t appreciate all that JCNA went through to get these tools, and that will complain even if you made the tools available to everyone for free (which you should not do under any circumstances) and hand delivered the tools to them personally on a silver platter. :grinning: The JCNA Tool Loan Program is working very nicely for me and other JCNA members that I know. I plan to visit the west coast location at Classic Showcase on 17 October during the San Diego Jaguar Club Concours d’Elegance and check out the latest inventory of tools.
I appreciate all that went into the JCNA Tool Loan Program and I know that many other hands on hobbyist in JCNA do as well.

Paul

1 Like

How much $$ does it take to be a “C.F.P.” ? :confused:

WOW … :drooling_face: I take it that pic #3 is of the CC tester that I am looking for? :confused: