The Jackard: A 1937 Packard Convertible with a 1962 Jaguar XK 3.8L motor

I’m surprised to hear that it’s that cheap… :slight_smile:

The last place in the Denver area that did poured babbitt bearings went out of business 35 years ago, and I’m not sure where I’d get it done now in the state.

My 'rent’s '35 Auburn Speedster had a two-speed Columbia rear axle, that allowed it to lope along at 75, turning a leisurely 3000 rpm. Though the engine was in top shape, and the tach indicated the redline was 5000 rpm, knowing of the 120 mm-long stroke, plus the 205 pound, 7 main crankshaft, I never had the guts to exceed 4k!

Oh yea: the much-ballyhooed Schwitzer supercharger? It only began making modest boost pressure at… 5000 rpm.

(5:1 ratio, supercharger/crank)

:expressionless:

Dad once had to get it rebuilt, in the mid-50s, so to keep it operational, he put 2 Stromberg 97s on it (the intakes were two, two ports each, one inlet for each side of the supercharger), and…it ran MUCH better.

:kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Mike,

Any idea what happened to the car, and where it was last when your father had it?

The story I recall, and I believe all of this happened before I was born in 1953, was that he sold it to his oldest brother (not in the photo) who then allowed one of his employees to use it. That employee then got in some sort of trouble with it, at which time Uncle Willie retrieved it, drove it to a junkyard, ripped out the ignition wiring and walked away. Dad replaced it with a much more practical 4 door Pontiac.

1 Like

Interesting. Do you happen to remember where in the county that was at?

Louisville, KY

1 Like

Took both the '37 and the '54 to a local car show. Both pulled awards out of a field of 250 cars. My wife was driving the '37, so this was her first award.

1 Like

I swear to God, if you paint it, it won’t get as much attention… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what my friend Steve told me when we were going to a show. He said to bring my ratty XK120, he would bring his XK140 and we would park together. Take a look at this clip, starting at 1:20 to see his car…

He was right, there were more people looking at our “relatable” cars than were looking at the rows of identically perfect E-Types.

2 Likes

Very true. My '38 SS with original interior and 1950s paint.

2 Likes

Never thought of it in those terms, but that could explain the allure of rat rods, and things like Icon Derelict cars.

I might win the big Lotto, but the Jeep will stay, pretty much as is.

With the '37, people liked it for a few reasons. One is the patina that married with the restored dash and chrome work. So two sides of the coin there. The Jag engine amused them. But oddly, it just fits and looks right in there somehow. It is almost an homage to when Packard was building the Rollys-Royce Merlin engines during the war, which we used in many aircraft including the P-51. In some ways, the XK motor looks like a scaled-down Merlin.

1 Like

Ya know though I never thought the e type looks good as a rat rod .it just doesn’t work. Mark 7 s and the likes looks great. As far as cars or trucks parked in a field . Vehicles from the 80 s on up look like a eye sore and older vehicles can look rather fitting sitting their rotting out.

Here’s where your Packard Straight 8 went.

Yes, I’ve seen Brian’s car many times. He did a lot of work on that engine and had to make a lot of custom parts. That car had a straight eight. My car would have had a straight six. It has the same basic engine design, just two less cylinders.

Here is the video of Brian’s entire Pikes Peek climb. Love the whine of that super charger.

2 Likes

I think that whine might be from the spur gears in the quick change. It seems to get louder with speed, not rpm.

It is, and except for the really expensive ones that used helical gears, the straight cut Halibrands always whine like that.

1 Like

I used to have one. Still have a pair of gears (24&25), a input shaft bearing and an axle side bell and tube.

1 Like

Get that straight eight, and you’re almost there with the hot rod! :slight_smile:

Yer welcome!!..:grin:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166249347910?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1ko5qrIQKTuSJvfpj58Z5VQ30&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=166249347910&targetid=4580840331958306&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=437225721&mkgroupid=1235851340419610&rlsatarget=pla-4580840331958306&abcId=9300906&merchantid=51291&msclkid=bc2ab7e075661f6e307cd306eb658827

(ain’t it a beeotch, having other gearheads as “friends?”)

1 Like

Cheap fix for sagging seat coil springs… Pool Noodles.

So the seat in the 37 sags horribly. To the point where by wife has to sit on a couple of cushions to even drive it.

So I pulled the seat bottom out and I can see where the prior owner had jammed foam into coils towards the rear where it holds the most weight to try to help with the sag.

But that foam was not rigid enough. So searching around online, I found a post where someone had firmed up a badly sagging seat with pool noodles. We had two of them left in the basement from some beach day in the past. So I cut them into 8" lengths and corkscrewed them into the coils where the most weight would concentrated. I left the foam that the prior owner had added in place to help keep the pool noodles in place. I also wire tied some of the coils together. Pool noodles, especially when compressed along their length are very dense and stiff.

This pretty much eliminated the sag and firmed up the seat in those area. Eventually I’ll replace the coils when the seats go for upholstery in the distant future. But for now, its a cheap bandaid. I need to buy a few more noodles next time I am out to do all the coils.

2 Likes

The seat now doubles as a flotation device.

4 Likes