The Jackard: A 1937 Packard Convertible with a 1962 Jaguar XK 3.8L motor

I just recently found a picture of my parents Auburn Speedster, and I was reminded that at one time, it also used a Jaguar engine… Long story!

2 Likes

There is no real work on the car as I am just enjoying the last few weeks of Cruise Night time before everything here goes dormant for the winter here in the Midwest. Once the leaves start falling, cars disappear for 6 months.

Here is a shot from a local Cruise Night. Apparently, it was '37 parking only.

Once I get back from Hershey in October, I will start working on the sheet metal swap and installing the much better grille.

2 Likes

I’ve just been finishing the metal repair on the running board I bought from Australia to get it ready for paint. Here is a picture after a coat of primer. I still need to do some more filling on some of the pits.

1 Like

Interesting that you had to buy a piece for an American car from Australia… :slight_smile:

It is hard to find running board. One year only, 115 models only. I could not find a good one in the US. This came from a RHD car that was exported to Australia.

Have to make a new peice to replace the rotten out area on the running board.

2 Likes

I made a little modification to the car. There is a vent hole on the dash where a clamshell-type vent would mount if you had the optional defroster.

If not, you have a simple delete plate.

Rather than drill an original plate, I just made a simple plate from 18ga steel. This allowed me to mount three LEDs. Two green LED’s for the turn signals and a red one for the parking brake.

This car has add-on turn signals, as it didn’t have them originally, and they do not automatically reset after a turn. When driving, it’s very hard to see the blinking light on the steering column. So now it is pretty much always in your field of vision. The parking brake light was also added after my wife drove the car for about 2 miles with the parking brake partially on.

Simple alteration, completely reversible.

4 Likes

Replacing the flange on that running board reminds me of replacing the flange on the bonnet wings and center section. All metal bodywork can be fixed with enough patients

Indeed. On my 54 Packard i had to make new floors, and new dog legs. By comparison, this part was easy!

From which institution do you collect the patients?

Blacksmith care facilities

1 Like

My wife took her cousin and friend out for a ride in the rumble seat.

2 Likes

No progress in the last week or so as I am trying to get all my ducks in a row for the annual pilgrimage to the AACA Hershey Meet. If I had more space and vending room, i would drag all the Jaguar parts I have left there to get rid of. But I have to concentrate on the excess Packard stuff I have.

The car has decent sized wind wings .
Almost half the window

The photo angle makes them look larger then they really are. But they sre about 1/3rd of the door length. Also they have their own crank to open and close vs just normal push out vent windows found on most cars.

Back from Hersey and started working on getting the metal components of the top assembly on the car so I can make the wood top bows. I got this car missing the entire top mechanism. So this had to be pieced together from different soruces. Not easy to find these parts.

3 Likes

When I restored the top for my parents '35 Auburn Speedster, all I had was the top bows and the hardware. I lacked wooden header rail, and had to carve that to fit the windshield and make it fit the top. Took me about three weeks!

Another Packard owner who was good enough to send me their original rear convertible bow so I can use it as a pattern to make a new one from.

Also, I was able I able spray the running board and brackets with some single stage urethane black paint.

1 Like

Getting the convertible top header bow rough blank dialed into the shape of the windshield.

1 Like

A little more shaping on the top crown is needed. But got all the brackery mortised in.

5 Likes