The Jackard: A 1937 Packard Convertible with a 1962 Jaguar XK 3.8L motor

Working on lamating the parts together for the rear bow. These are rough cut then will be shaped to the correct profile once all the parts are glued together and cured.

2 Likes

… which just goes to prove the old saying: when working with wood, you can never have too many clamps!

I have about 10 more clamps on it now as I put the last two parts on the ends.

I offically used every F-clamp I have in the shop!

2 Likes

Almost there!

2 Likes

A freakish 80f fall day here means we had to sneak the Jackard out to take in some fall colors.

3 Likes

The plan is start taking the sheet metal off the car so I can start undoing the customization that was done to the car in past. I’ll put the stock fenders and runningboard back on the car.

Trying to get all this done over the winter months before we leave for Art Deco Fest in Napier, New Zealand in February. We have plans to be part of the Vintage Car festivities that week with somw other Packard folks.

But first I still still have a couple of days work finishing up the wood bows for the convertible top.

Where are you shipping the car to for Napier?

Sorry, not shipping the car. But flying out to participate. Im sure ill be a passenger in some pre war vehicle during the festivities.

The car runs exceptionally quiet: fantastic. I admit that I kind of like the nasty-rusty appearance, but sure enough it will be great when you are done with the restoration.

Many folks like the patina/rat rod look. But I like a painted car that can be washed.

Much of the patina in this car is actually faked with paint.

The biggest issue is that the extended front fenders interfere with the doors opening all the way. Also, my wife wants the running boards back on.

So it will be comestically restored back to original.

The clacking/rattle noise you here in the video is the naked top mechanism.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that, but I can wash my Jeepster… :slight_smile:

Happy wife…:wink:

Except for painting them, the top bows are done. So now all the top mechanism is in place.

5 Likes

Will you be doing the soft components, too?

I can order a presewn top. Not sure if I trust myself to install it. The rear window has to be cut in and there are tricks to get it install evenly and tight. Not sure I want to risk a $1200 top on my first time at it.

2 Likes

Just a question: how does it drive? It must be nice having such a smooth and quiet engine in this machine, right? How does the rest of the car cope? Like gearbox, axle ratios, etc…

1 Like

It uses the original Packard three speed transmission and rear end. Thats probably the biggest issue as the rear end gear ratio was set up for the original 100hp motor and roads of the day where people didnt travel much over 50mph.

So she really moves off the line, but runs out of gear pretty quickly. It really needs an overdrive.

But for regular street driving, its pretty smooth.

So… thinking of installing some appropriately-geared rear end?

Perhaps at some point. It would involve a complete rear end swap. An overdrive setup maybe a better option.

Hmmmm: a Jag 'box, with a Laycock OD…!

I’d vote for that!

Although, it wouldn’t really be that big a deal to do a differential swap: there are many services that can make custom axles, wheel bolt patterns, and all of that.

The hotrodders like the Borg Warner/ Tremec T5 from an S10 because the shifter location is very far forward.