The Jackard: A 1937 Packard Convertible with a 1962 Jaguar XK 3.8L motor

Fine with me, thanks!

Paul, since i am misisng the element, I dont know what originall size should be. We do have both a tractor supply store and a blaines farm and fleet near us. So if i can figure out what size I need, the I can try those places. Thanks!

1 Like

I would not put it in the Lounge. There’s #xk-engine and he has an xk engine from a ‚saloon‘. Isn’t the lounge thing for not strictly jag related things.

The other SU had the mixture screw below the jet, if it’s not the HD type.

I like the concept of the indicators that sit in the damper tubes. I haven’t seen it in action and it’s probably not a must have but it must be neat. Helped me understand the concept when I didn’t know how a carburetter works, and that wasn’t that long ago…

The banjo at the rear:
Special fibre washer (some use two, originally one) - banjo - tag if still there - aluminium gasket - bolt. Usually when you tighten it the leak is gone. But.
It shouldn’t leak at all though so make sure the drain tube isn’t clogged and that the carb isn’t flooding from the needle valve (that is opening and closing depending on float height/fuel level).

I made these for my 150 which has a different air intake setup (air cleaner is below the carburetors). Here the are on my MK9 engine. I just need to make the rods longer.

1 Like

Very nice! Maybe i‘ll try that out, doesn’t look too difficult with a pipe that fits and some welding rod!

I use a Baldwin air filter element. Part no PA5504. It’s one piece and around £20.

1 Like

Good point, and a better choice. Thanks!

Rebuild kits were ordered for the HD6-Thermo carbs. Also, ordered a gasket kit for the ACS and a sundries kit.

All of this coming from SU directly.

SU also recommends I use the TM needles with this setup and the 3.8L motor.

So once everything arrives, I will tear into carbs and get them sorted.

Wardell,

Thanks for that. Going to get an ETA from Moss and if it’s not soon, then I will cancel that order and go with the Baldwin element.

The Baldwin element is a stock item. The one I got here was made in USA.
It’s about 1/2 inch short so requires a foam packer behind the lid. I’ll send some pictures later.
I tried high and low to find a genuine felt element but they haven’t been made for decades. I also couldn’t find any other automotive application where that air cleaner was used.

I do have several of these original filters elements in their housings that came off MK7s

I have not removed and examined the filter element itself to see if it is possible to re-use, clean, or in some other way make it serviceable to filter air

Any information you have on this matter would be appreciated

I did sell one to a fellow that was minus the whole assembly for his MK7 resto, it was a very nice piece with the just the right amount of patina and original stickers. I considered the original wire & gauze style filter a bonus for ultimate originality

I know in the Packard world, the oil bath cleaner used this type of kapok fiber (looks like thick coconut fiber) or metal sponge type material. When they need to be serviced you would clean them in kerosene and reoil.

Im not sure gauze would survive that.

Moss’s solution is to use four small filters stacked together.

It would be interested to know what the original dimensions are as that may be useful in finding other suitabe replacements.

I.D, O.D. and overall length would be helpful.

Now there’s a term I haven’t heard for a coon’s age!

1 Like

1/2 inch x 2 3/4 plastic dowel

st step 0.457
2nd step 0.376

1 Like

My only concern about your method is the weight of your tools: though small, I’m afraid that might actually give a bit of a false reading for your settings.

The tool is only for syncing the air flow. I adjust idle and mixture without them. At idle the pistons are bottomed-out.

1 Like

Copy that!

Kapok was also used to make old school life preservers.

2 Likes

And here I always thought it was an indigenous South African word.

That was where I knew it from: my mom, being a seamstress, made us all custom kapok life preservers.