The Jackard: A 1937 Packard Convertible with a 1962 Jaguar XK 3.8L motor

I couldn’t stand that green fender on the car anymore. So I pulled it off, straightening and welded some minor tears along the bottom flange. I removed all the scale rust and mud from the inside of the fender and then shot the entire thing in red oxide primer just to give it something. Then I painted the fender in rustoleums finest black rattle can paint making sure to do the worse possible job I could. When I get back from NZ I’ll scuff it and scrape it just right to let the red oxide show through in places to compliment the rest of the car.

A little before and after with most of the work done on things no one will ever see.

1 Like

Are those the wheel caps you will be using
Looks like new tires also

Same tires that it came with, for now.

I’ve replaced most of the hubcaps with ones in better condition. Some need to be repainted. But I tried to find ones without dings and scrapes to the chrome as the are all but impossible to repair do to how they are constructed. Repros are no longer available.

Send a good photo of them to me, and I will have my swap meet addict friend keep an eye out for some.

1 Like

This is what they look like. There is a later style with 3 or 4 outter rings instead of just one. Those are incorrect for a '37.

2 Likes

I’m on it! I’ve sent the picture to him, and he’ll see what he can scour up for you.

I’m gonna bet that they’re made the same way the Auburn hubcaps were, maybe by the same company: they’re a heavy steel cap, overlain by stamped, chromed skin.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

1 Like

Seems they’re going for a fair bit more than when my parents sold theirs in 1988…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I belive this is the actual car we are borrowing while we are down there for two weeks. Also a 1933 Packard Eight Coupe.

1 Like

That’s a fakey doo Auburn: still fun to drive!

Actually, if set ip properly, a far better vessel to drive.

Probably why were allowed to borrow it!

1 Like

It turned out not be the speedster but a convertible sedan since we needed more passenger space.

Tom and Ray from the Classics Museum collected us at the airport and had a nice reception and luncheon setup for us at the museum.

3 Likes

Looks like we turned the weather up for you. Enjoy the event.

Actually got a sun burn from arm resting on the on the top of the door while driving. Gorgeous weather.

2 Likes

Good point due to the ozone hole over the South pole our UV readings are probably a lot higher than you are used to. Slather SPF 50 on and stay safe.

1 Like

Roadside stop coming from Taupo to Napier to stretch out legs and take pictures of this scenic valley.

3 Likes

The ladies going out for the evening:

3 Likes

Tom (far left) is the gent from the Classics Museum in Hamilton thatbhas loaned us some of his wondeful cars during our New Zealand stay. He also owns this superb Lagonda.

7 Likes

You run in good circles. Gorgeous cars.

We were helping out the Art Deco Trust with fundrasing by giving tourists rides around downtown in our borrowed cars. Here i am on the left with the Auburn and Jerry from North Carolina with the Packard. This was taken before hand at the Hawks Bay Vintage Car Club Tea (Breakfast).

2 Likes