The Jaguar Engine Publication 1953 by Bill Heynes

Lot 687 at Mullock’s Auction tomorrow is a 1953 publication by Bill Heynes on the XK engine at the The Institution of Mechanical Engineers.

See https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-749433-jaguar_engine_publication_1953_institution.html?p=58

Hammered for 10 pounds Sterling: seems a good buy.

There’s a decent scan online. Dunno where but I‘ve read it once or twice.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1243/PIME_AUTO_1952_000_020_02

Also shows on Amazon but out of stock.

I was thinking we had it on our old web site, but I couldn’t find it just now.

I might have to rent that article.

Look for it on myds420.info

1 Like

Tried that, on different search engines: cant be reached…?

http://www.myds420.info/motor/m.01.m.html
Thanks David!

2 Likes

On reading this carefully, I notice two things that suggest that, though the manuscript was presented in 1953, the paper has been revised after 1953.
The photo of the engine, Fig. 1, shows the 8-blade fan with the cast aluminum sump, which would date it to about 1954.
The last page mentions Sir William Lyons, and if I recall my history, he became a knight in 1956.

As Rob did, add www. to the front of David’s link. You can click on the Jaguar Engine link and then save each page as a picture…including the pictures.

1 Like

Hi,

I got mine for £1 GBP at Stoneleigh a few years ago. Too bad I only bought one. :grin:

And the same applies for the great “Jaguar V12 engine” booklet form the 1971 SAE conference (I think it was 1971 in Chicago) lecture given by W.T.F. Hasan.

(and no that’s NOT a joke, those are his real initials).

Walter Thomas FrederickWallyHassan OBE, C.Eng., M.I. Mech.E

Cheers!

2 Likes

I have the V12 booklet. I think I might have scanned it at some point, but maybe I just copied it. If anyone is interested I can have a look.

It would be very interesting to have a look at it…

The V12 lubrication part is interesting and contradicts some oft-repeated shibboleths on this and other forums…

OK, I’ll try and find a scan.

Edit: I found a scan. Not sure if anyone will complain about copyright infringement. So I won’t post openly.
I’ll send you a PM, @Aristides. Anyone else interested just PM me.

Cheers,
Harald

Second Edit.
I have trouble with the upload limit. I have compressed the file to 10Mb now, but the forum only allows 4Mb. I’ll try and work out another solution.

Not quite sure what you are getting at? Engine vs Pump flow at idle speed?

Danke!

I would appreciate a scan.

I found a reference to this book: ISBN 1-85520-255-7 (2nd Impr.), Brooklands Books, 1976/1987 Jaguar The Engineering Story Jeff Daniels This book is about the various engines that Jaguar produced over the years. Obviously, the XK engine gets an extensive coverage among these.

All I can find is a 2004 Haynes book under the same name by the same author.
It’s on order :joy:

There is Heynes, Jaguar engine wiz and Haynes publisher of many auto repair books. An ok book tho.