The K&N Air filter for the carburettor V12 (Series 1 Double SIx, Series 1 Jaguar V12, Series 3 E-Type)

Good morning team,
I have been scouring the web for air filters for my 1973 Daimler Double Six VDP with very little success. Apparently they have stopped making them? Notwithstanding, I have put K&N Filters in my 1988 XJ-S V12 with fantastic results, so I am seeking advice/availability/source of a K&N Filter for the earlier car. I’m sure my friends with V12 E-Types have already made the change to their engines.
Searching the web:
SNG Barrat did provide one under C37066KN, since discontinued;
I have measured the air filter housing, and using the K&N website and found two that may fit 33-2819, and 33-3095, but seek advice from the forum on anyone that has actually fitted the replacement filter.
Many thanks for your help and advice.
Kind regards,
Chris

The main purpose of air filters is to keep foreign objects and dirt from entering the engine, Chris - without unduly interfere with air flow. And to some extent to dampen inlet noise…

The first is likely fulfilled by any reputable air filter - the second is sort related to individual preferences…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Thanks Frank, whilst you have identified the problem broadly, my nuance is that I still want to use the factory fitted air filter housing. Having established this constraint finding the correct size and shape filter is a problem. There are many filters that can prevent rubbish entering the carburettor, but not very many that fit the housing, or indeed afternarket housing filter combinations that fit the car: room being at a premium beneath the bonnet of the V12 saloon.
SNG Barrat previously offered the K&N Filter under the P/N above (C37066KN), I have contacted the K&N retailers here in Australia, who can’t find it in their stock, so I was really reaching out to the European, and USA members who may know of a regional part number for the K&N filter that I could e-bay back to sunny Australia.
Kind regards,
Chris,

1 Like

I am currently searching for the same. I have a 73 XJ1/2. Did you establish which filter cartridge is correct please ?

Good afternoon Andrew,
Not yet. I have a K&N numbers which I obtained on the K&N website by searching by dimensions:
33-2819; or
33-3095.
However, I haven’t been able to source either item in Australia. I am going to approach K&N direct and see if they can help us. I’ll post the results of that enquiry.
Regads,
Chris

Thanks Chris. I will have a look around here in the UK and see whether I can find any and let you know if I am successful. Good luck.

Got on to the K&N Website:
a. K&N number 33-2579 (discontinued); is the same product as
b. SNG Barrat C37066KN (discontinued);
c. Is the replacement air filter for the carb V12.
However, if anyone knows of a retailer that may have old stock Andrew and I could make enquiries. Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Chris

Does this look correct?

Good afternoon Robin,
Yes, I can confirm that the 33-2579 number is the K&N Part number for the SNG Barrat C37066KN part; now discontinued. I did try putting the ‘Smart Stuff Parts’ filter into my shopping basket, but it doesn’t work; so I assumed, although they still advertise the part, they have no stock. I have sent them an email asking if they still have any in stock. I have also peppered Facebook on all the Jaguar Forums for the XJ series to see if anyone knows of a supplier. Despite all this, my question is what are all the V12 owners using for air filtration, there being a paucity of the OEM units available. I did find a set at JagDaim in Melbourne, Victoria: they wanted $300.00 for them!
Anyway, I’m searching the USA for a supplier now, although the postage is extraordinarily expensive to sunny Australia, the UK is much cheaper.

Hi there. Look I managed to buy one new in the UK. There is a chap on EBay UK offering a new pair. They look shop soiled but probably new

Let me know if you need a help with these.

Andrew

Andrew.honychurch@gmail.com

Good afternoon Andrew,
Apologies for the slow response. Ordered and paid for using Pay Pal, and your link on e-Bay. Many thanks, Chris

Checked through contact, they are out of stock. Thanks for your help though, I’ll keep looking.
I have been looking in Finland, where they were advertised, but they haven’t got any either: were most apologetic that they hadn’t kept their website up to date, which was nice.