The mighty ‘Egal’

This car got a mention on another thread, but the discussion went elsewhere, so I thought I’d start a new thread.

This car has been getting A LOT of attention on social media lately. The story is that it was built in-period around 1963, and raced around Britain for several years. At some point, it made its way to the US, and was modified even further. A couple of years ago, someone found it in storage on the US east coast, verified it was the real Egal, and shipped it back to England. It has now been restored to its original, as-raced configuration.

The car was built by installing the 427 side-oiler from a Ford Galaxie into an Early E-type….get it, E-Gal? Curiously, the mighty 427 is adapted to run through the original Moss box.

I’ve seen video of the car doing exhibition runs at recent motorsports events, and while the driver was obviously not giving it all the beans, the exhaust note was pretty mind-bending.

4 Likes

Ben
Lee Holmans Dad and crew did all the work
Lee the son who is a good friend did all the resto work if memory is correct
Call Lee in Carolina he has all the details if you like
Gtjoey

Usually not a fan of big motor swaps into an E, but I like this. Basically it’s a Shelby Daytona Coupe with nicer styling and RHD.

1 Like

Very nice period “resto mod.”

Can’t figure out if the Moss box would have been a plus or a detriment. 1st is really only a starting gear, and not even needed of you’re on flat ground. And you can’t downshift into it. So, you have a long legged three speed. With the torque from that baby, you might not have to do much shifting.

Anyway, what a very cool car!

2 Likes

I don’t generally like modified E Types but always thought this one just looked right for some reason.

Ben it looks like they have fabricated a new frame for the engine and mounted it to different points on the firewall, and possibly the picture frame as well. Makes sense - most of the V8 conversions I’ve see have the two top rails that run parallel to the engine cut out, and yes the frame seems to continue to work.

Agree, it looks like the upper-inner tubes are splayed outward, and must mount to a different location on the firewall.

Oh, you can, but no real need, with the torque of either the 6 or that monster Wee-8!

2 Likes

Indeed they have: otherwise, there’d be NFW to shoehorn in a side oiler.

It was owned by Woody at Nisonger’s for many years. He must have taken it apart around 2000, then it floated around through various shops, but he passed before it could go back together. Last time I saw it, it was in chromate primer, sitting in the corner of a paint brush factory in Newark. I should have made an offer, but I was busily wasting my money on another rescue project at the time. I don’t think I took any pictures, but I’ll dig around and see if I have anything in my files.

3 Likes

I can tell you, from hard and painful experience, that when one dismounts a car that is equipped with side pipes like that, it’s best to not be wearing shorts when you do it.

Weight of a 427 side Oiler said to be 680 pounds. Stock 4.2 jag engine 660. What’s wrong with this picture?

1 Like

The only thing wrong with it in my book is the unsightly bulge needed to clear the carb.