The quest continues for a true-to-original reproduction XK120 Tool Roll

C’mon guy’s! Anyone over there down under want to get in on this one!!

why don’t you just buy a completed tool roll from this man problem solved?
" I only know of ONE small back-yard enthusiast who has properly addressed belt/buckle accuracy,"

I have been at a loss to understand all this hubbub over a tool kit. So I googled “Jaguar tool kit for sale”.
NOW I understand. Authentic repro and the real McCoy is quite a difference.

The struggle is real!

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have received the 1st production Buckle from the supplier. Looks just like the original from which it was made! I will try to attach pictures soon

Does anyone know where I can find a 5/8 inch Center Bridge Buckle similar to the one shown above? The pictures are of a 1/2 inch Buckle for the Tool Roll. The Buckle I am looking for is attached to the 5/8 inch Leather Strap located in the Trunk and retains the Tool Bag / Roll. If you have Buckle I could buy, borrow or steal (!). I need it to duplicate it and will then return it. I can offer to make a new Strap and Buckle and send it to you for no cost in exchange. Thank you.
Karl Robertson

Anyone here willing to help? I would really appreciate it. Again, looking for the 5/8 inch Buckle for the Strap in a XK Trunk that holds the Tool Roll. Thank you in advance.

fantastic add, great artwork
terry

I would like to resurrect this thread. My question being, when if ever, the Approved Colors for the Tool Bags will be expanded to include some of the more “Rare” colors sighted. And who makes that decision?

Well, I suppose a rare color might receive favorable attention if there were 10 or more documented reliable sightings. Unfortunately it is difficult to know so many decades after the fact whether a rare color was issued by the factory or some other source. The approvers for the US would be the author of the JCNA judging guide and his review panel. Other countries have their own.

I am not convinced that the green canvas is actually correct Tracey started making these back in the late 80’s
terry

Terry,

Several original XK120 Green Canvas Tool Rolls exist in variable condition given their 70 year age, indeed I have two very nice examples in my own collection…
The confusing difficulty is the green colouring/dye is unstable and degrades to various shades of green to khaki colour, much the same as the same dyes as used on Lucas braided cotton electrical wiring, and the dyes as used on the braided-cotton tyre pump flex…

I am unware Tracey actually made reproduction XK120 Tool Rolls, albeit he did make/sell a particularly good reproduction SS100 Tool Roll that was later on listed/offered as an XK120 tool roll (its NOT) in a pretty reasonable match of the same Green Canvas as Jaguar used for one of their material variation XK120 Tool Rolls - albeit his belt and buckle match was not great…

Do you have a photo of one of the tool rolls you are saying is his XK120 Tool Roll reproductions ???

Very nice Karl but as I pointed out if you are wanting to sell these then they need to go in the classifieds section.

1 Like

Robin,
I thought that is what I have done? Isn’t this the Classified Section?

It isn’t, it’s here: #classifieds where you’ve posted. I think especially if there is low demand it’s good to let people know about the availability though?

1 Like

I bought the green one many years ago because at the time I thought it was the right one, before the internet, and before folks on this forum had done any research. I bought the brown one within the past year from somebody on the east coast, I forget who, but it seems fine to me.

Karl,

Saying “this is not an ad” doesn’t make it so. It is obvious you are selling.

Advertising is banned outside the classifieds and I am sure we all know you make these. This will now be referred to moderators and admin as it keeps happening.

1 Like

I agree with Matt, please delete the 2 postings.

2 Likes

This is not an AD!
I will be travelling to Australia in January 2023. If anyone wants one of my Tool Rolls / Bags, I am offering to take them with me and Post them in Australia. This will save you both time and the cost of shipping and help anyone in Australia and NZ. Now I hope I am not going to be penalized for making this offer!

On the topic of original suppliers of minor components, I’d say you need to be in the English Midlands to stand a fighting chance of uncovering the source.
About five years ago, a group of highly revered Cobra experts in the US were planning a run of chrome-on-brass ¼ BSF wing nuts, as used to retain both hoodsticks and jack rods in the boots of leafspring Cobras, having come to the conclusion they were originally made to order for AC.
The British motor industry never worked that way in the sixties. I contacted a couple of small family-run bracket and fastener manufacturers in the Black Country. The second had these on the shelf in a storeroom: I asked the question, the boss asked his grandfather and yes, in the thirties they received an order from AC Cars for a few hundred No.4 wing nuts, and obviously still had some left.
Somewhere in or around Birmingham is, or was, the company that made those buckles, I’ll wager.
It might even be the same firm:

1 Like