The View on "Vintage" Before 1988

Nope. No Jack stand. The original jack is in its intended position as described iin the owners manual. I then removed the front and rear tires. Hey, I’ve done this property many times in the ensuing years with a hydraulic floor Jack and proper jack stands. But I was 19 then with no resources other than the tools that came with the car, and the instructions for do-it-yourselfers in the owner’s manual.

I will be 67 in a few days. I wouldn’t trade anything for my life experience with this wonderful car.

That said, I did many things stupider than this and lived to tell the tale.

I recall one of brothers in law changing oil with just a bumper jack to raise the car. I also recall the day when just after he slithered out from under the car, the car rolled back a bit and the came off of the jack. Had he stayed under there 10 seconds more he’d have been smushed. A tripod jack was purchased soon there after.

Bumber jacks were stupidly dangerous. I’m surprised they weren’t outlawed when all the safety regs went into effect in 1968.

1 Like

Bought my first Jag in 1987, a rusty but driveable Series 1 3.8 OTS. Paid about $9000 then, people asked me if I was completely mad?
I then spent 8 month in a rotisserie-restoratiom and about $4000 more to get it to a, at that time, nice standard. Kept it for 24 years.

Ahh, the good old days! I enjoyed the good old days and I am quite sentimental about them. I am not wild about new cars. But, the good old days included my mom keeping me from public places during the polio and being scared of measles. Most people’s vacation was 3 hours to the shore- no one when to Disneyland or Europe. Color TV, in today’s dollars- thousands. What was a typical new car in 1968? $3000? We liked Ford Model A’s back then, and went to the shows. One guy had a great restoration. $8000! Outrageous. If the typical car was $3000, this was almost 3 times. So if the typical car today is $30,0000, the Model A restoration in todays dollars, $80,000. That is not an E-type. That was a 4 cylinder valves in block. Non syncro 3 speed. No heater, radio, fuel pump, etc. To have restored an EType to same level would have been maybe twice a Model A, so $16,000 back then, today $160,000. Is it really that different?:grinning:
Tom

1 Like

By comparison, those old methods we used were a model of safety compared to this:

ProppedUp

1 Like

Hey, wheels are chocked and TWO posts holding it up!
And, by the angle of the truck, its almost more apt to roll on it’s side than on top of him :wink:.

2 Likes

Me and my '68 in about 1973. Still have the car and still active with it. (Oil Leak 2017 and 2019). Been regional JCNA champ and runner up nationally many times years ago. Currently holds the record in SP/L class (street modified) in JCNA slalom, and recorded FTD at the giant Slalom at the ABFM in Portland this year. Bought it indirectly from a RCAF guy in 1972 who bought it in Germany from Peter Lindner’s dealership in Frankfurt. Been coast to coast in Canada with it, and through all the western and most mid western states, plus the US east coast. Shown here autocrossing in Victoria (recorded posted and titled by a friend) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdsYfSEzP8c

6 Likes

Hi Terry! So glad you weighed in. Haven’t seen you in many years, since the mid 90s I think. Lots of great memories. Your Western States meet 1986 in Whistler BC was my first JCNA show. Second place behind Burt and Donna Curtis. Cheers!

I like the Abarth exhaust tips…:grimacing:

Hi Paul. That is actually a Stebro system. Made in Quebec. It was on the car when I bought it. Had the most beautiful sound I’ve ever heard an E Type make – but they would rust out in three years of summer use. Replaced them a couple of times then gave up and went all S/S

Ah… loved them, too!

I tried to find either, to replace my rusty Abarths, but no joy on either.

Hi Tom. Yes I remember you and your beautiful car - and Bert Curtis. I run into him occasionally in the Seattle area. I also have a good recollection of Western States in BC in '86, thou I can’t remember much since then it seems. I still have a trophy from there - a black plastic leaper on a plaque, and still have the folder and event magazine they did for entrants. Was my second year of showing my car out west. hope to bump into you out here.

1 Like

Paul just a couple of years ago you could find Stebro on line with an E type exhaust - but now made in S/S. I couldn’t find them as a stand alone entity on line yesterday but I see Alibaba in China has Stebro exhausts for Ferrari’s on their website. Similarly Abarth was on line with product for E’s a couple of years ago - I haven’t looked recently as I’m not in the market. I’ve got some Euro friends my age that won’t let themselves get soft - sadly I do - can’t deal with a noisy exhaust anymore, and I’m half deaf - at least that’s my view - my better half won’t go along with just half!.

1 Like

Well, back in '09, I couldn’t find either: in any case years of Tweety uncorked also became too much for me.

So, I compromised with the SuperTrapps!

Me too! As I remember, they gave out both the custom trophy and also the official JCNA pewter plate. I might have enough of those to throw a small dinner party, LOL!

Do you recall going to the Vancouver World’s Fair and displaying our cars there, on the way home from the meet? Good times!

you could probably find a really good custom exhaust guy could cut up and exactly replicate any exhaust part you want.

My Daimler VDP DDS was at one time owned by a very wealthy guy, he had mufflers handmade in the best SS I ever seen, they were a work of art and weighed about 20lbs, last forever

Yes and the slalom up the mountain.

1 Like

Probably could: I’m not of the socio-economic bracket such that allows that.

:grimacing:

Stock manifolds, down pipes, straight pipes instead of mufflers to Supertrapps. I love the burble. Not loud but it’s an ots. Decidely different animal than a coupe. I think there’s less turbulence and wind noise on my motorcycle.
Pretty torquey for a stocker.

1 Like

Terry, reaching here, but didn’t you host a few of us at your home for a night in BC on the drive up to Whistler? I recall a couple of guys with a C-Type replica along with my (now ex) wife and me and our trailered E.