Thermostats (S2)

Check my old thread (Water pump, S2) for the whole saga. Many thanks to David Langley (here on the Forum) for his help. I have reluctantly concluded that my rare, ugly, and weird overheating incidents were due to an inadvertently clamped-off hose from the radiator neck to the body of the overflow tank. I’m about to put it all back together, and want to get things right.

I have heard of fail-safe (fail open) thermostats. Thermostat failures are rare, but not unheard of. One of my club chums says that these were made by Kelsey-Hayes and others. I would need the type with the “foot”, for my S1 4.2 manifold. I’d be interested in any experiences or other comments, opinions, etc. AND, where can I buy one?

Also, what is the consensus on thermostat rating? I have a strong cooling system (once the problem is fixed —), so no need to fudge by using a too-low thermostat. I am inclined toward a 190 or 195 deg F. Engines are more efficient at higher temps. Opinions? Other comments?

Bob Frisby S2 FHC
Boise, Idaho

My guess is that finding a fail safe for the E would be difficult, sure someone will prove me wrong?
I now use a 190 deg. stat on my series ll . Years ago when I drove from Indiana to California in December my gauge never reached the normal area until I reached Arizona. I had been using a 180 deg. I think?
Glenn

I got my sleeved thermostat from SNGB and coupled with a CoolCat fan, I’ve had no overheating problems. The exact design of thermostat that you will need will depend on which Series I manifold you are using, 3.8 or 4.2. I’d give Barratt a call and they should be able to make sure that you have the right thermostat for your manifold.