Tibbe Key "Discs"

If you take a picture of your key and post it or send it to me I will tell you the key code and you can have it cut.

bob

Yes, I can see a difference in your keys. But mine look pretty much the same :confused:

…I will be able to clone your key and steal your car :rofl: :joy: :laughing:

I have worked on Jaguars for over 45 years. I could probably steal the car anyway.
I kinda know how they work.

bob

You’d be welcome. I’d much rather a professional steal it without doing any damage, than some bodge artist who would break the window, jimmy the steering lock, and mess about with the ignition wiring.

As to #2, the black-headed Tibbe key (also called “spindle” key by Jag) works with all locks on the car. The green-headed Tibbe is a “valet key”, which, IIRC, works only the doors and the ignition, but will not open the glove box (if your car has one) or the boot. The tip of this key is missing the outer “cut” of the black key, IIRC, and that’s why it won’t work in those locks. The idea is that lets the valet park your car, but not check out your hidden “goods”. The thing I always wondered about is why the valet can’t just hit the “pop the boot lid” button inside the cabin, but IIRC to prevent them from being able to do that you are supposed to temporarily disable that feature by pushing the rocker button hidden in the center console box. I don’t believe it is somehow automatically disabled by using the valet key in the ignition, but I could be wrong about that. :confused: I think thought that once you revert to using the black-head key again in the ignition that automatically re-enables the boot lid pop open button. (?) (also don’t forget to manually lock the boot lid before giving the key to the valet!) On Harlem, my '00 XJ8, I think it works kinda the opposite. Since it has no glovebox (b/c of the passenger-side airbag) the only thing the valet might get into is the boot. I think there is a “valet” button on the console that you push before giving them the key that disables the “pop the boot” button. Once you use the black key in the ignition again it re-enables that button. Or something like that … it gets kinda confusing! :crazy_face:

Note that Jag used a regular flat key to open the doors on the XJS up until '94 MY, at which time they switched over so that the same Tibbe key would be used on all locks on the car.

To disable the VALEY MODE you need to open the boot lid (AND THE LIGHTS MUST COME ON) and have the car recognize that the lid was opened!!!

You can use the BLACK key in the boot lid lock or the keyfob transmitter.

NO OTHER WAY TO DISABLE.

The ignition lock has NO WAY to determine what key is in the barrel. The VALET key has no different characteristics other than the physical metal tip.

If you grind the tip to simulate the BLACK KEY it will become a BLACK KEY.

That’s odd. Before when I have inadvertently hit the valet button on Harlem and I found out I had done this only after the boot lid button wouldn’t work later on when I pressed it, I was sure all i had to do was put the black key in and turn the ignition on to re-enable it. But it has been over a year now since I last drove her, so maybe my memory of that issue is off. :sleepy: