Timing chain replacement

When or now often should timing chain be replaced?
1973 SerIII 2+2.

I should not expect it to ever require replacement unless the timing chain tensioner broke or did not retain tension. Replacing the tensioner is a good investment in my opinion. However doing so is almost a full engine rebuild since the heads and sump must be removed in order to remove the timing cover to get to the timing chain and tensioner.

You don’t need to take the heads off to replace the tensioner. Even with that little bit of “good news”, it’s a pig of a job. You need to take the six top studs out of the timing cover by double nutting them.
kind regards
Marek

Actually, the tensioners can be addressed without removing the heads (i.e. the timing cover can be removed with the head and engine in place).

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1457538390

Not a minor job but possible.

Dear Geo,

It’s good to know that the 6 cylinder engines also don’t need to have their heads removed to change their tensioners. The v12 only has one timing chain and one tensioner.

kind regards
Marek

Hmmm - I need to work on my ‘reading for comprehension’.

The V12 tensioner can also be changed in the car, just a bit more involved than the 6 cylinder. Heads do not need to come off but other than that, pretty much same procedure as on your 6.