Timing Chain tensioner gasket & O ring

Hi Guys, has anyone changed the gasket and O ring on the timing chain tensioner that sits just behind and above the distributor ? Is it a case of just pulling it out once the two bolts are undone without any fear of something dropping out of the end and falling down inside the engine ?
Cheers.

Hi Casso!
The timing chain tensioner piston might find it’s way all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan if it’s popped out.

Hi Joe, I was worrried about that, thanks for the warning, I have a very slight oil drip coming from the cover plate. I might try pulling it out just far enough to smear some Hylomar gasket sealant behind the plate using a small artist’s type paint brush rather than removing it completely and risk bits falling down into the oil pan !
I hope everything is sweet with your car, cheers Casso.

Casso,
You might want to check out the French site for this job: http://www.jcsovejag.com/jaguarxj/xj40_tendeur-chaine.php

1 Like

Casso, I checked out that website Otto recommended. I never realized there are that many O rings in the tensioner. When I replaced the head gasket in Sept. 2009, the tensioner piston fell in the engine. It’s still in there and I can hear it rattle if I press the gas pedal a bit harder. Let us know how it goes for you.

Thank you Otto, that’s a very informative set of pictures shown on that link. I’m so glad I didn’t just go ahead and pull it out before checking first on here ! The oil drip I have is only very slight, I think I’ll try sealing the gasket without completely removing the assembly.

The tensioner needs to be ‘parked’ by using an Allen key to release the tension.

2 Likes

Hi Gary, many thanks for that detailed explanation, exactly what I was hoping for and I feel much more confident in proceeding to fix the leak properly rather than a temporary bodge using gasket sealant. Cheers, Casso.

When you have the valve body out (number 5 in the diagram) give it a good clean as it has a number of very small orifices that can block with old oil.
When you reinsert the tensioner you use the Allen key again to ‘unpark’ it.

1 Like