Timing chain tensioner spring

Anyone know who has a timing chain tensioner spring for MkIV 1946 3.5 litre?
My existing one looks like about to break into pieces

…and usual U.K. sources don’t have any

Let’s see if you get any offers more local than me. Failing that, I can look in my boxes here in California for a used one. Send me a note or reply here when you think I should look.

And, just to double check your usual UK source list, who did you try? That would be good to know in case your list has someone useful to know about that I could learn. And I may have others to suggest.

Thanks- Worcester spares my first attempt, Ian Mullins in Melbourne, my local engineering shop that has experience rebuilding classic engines, SNG Barrats …

Hi,

I don’t know but that doesn’t look too bad for me.

That chain does not need a whole lot of tension.

BUT I would suggest you get or make a locking plate for those camshaft bolts. Or drill the heads with a 1.5mm drill bit and use locking wire.

Mine broke off and I could not get replacements from anywhere.

You can check out my engine rebuild (#SL2199 from 1948) thread over here, I ended up using two M8 allen head bolts with long necks and I shortened and rethreaded them to 3/8” BSF and drilled the heads for locking wire. If they loosen just a bit the gear will cut the bolts in no time as there is no key, it’s only held on that shaft by those two small bolts and friction.

Cheers!

1 Like

I think you’ll find that this is the part: Tensioner - Timing Chain - Duplex Chain Type - 145866 (rimmerbros.com)

Peter

4 Likes

Thank you- order in…

1 Like

It looks about like mine.