Tire scrub in the wheel well

why do I hear a tire scrub sound when i drive along into a low spot on the road with my 1990 xjs? could it be a bad shock, or coil spring ??please I need an idea to fix.

It could be both, also are they stock sized tires? How do your bushings look? Is it scrapping all around, or constantly one wheel? Did you check to make sure there isn’t just a piece of plastic or something hanging down?

thanks for your reply, I havent checked thoroughly everywhere yet, I will check to see that the tire size is correct from the manual.I know that I replaced all four perelli tires new 15 inch .

I hear scrapeing from the rear passengers side only, this scrapeing has come about slowly over time.

Mark,
It is time for you to remove the tire/wheel from where the sound is coming from and inspect for signs of where the rubbing might be occurring.

I am a strong believer of rear mud flaps and we have them behind the rear wheels of our 1990 XJ-S convertible to protect the paint in tgat area from mechanical damage. Do you have mud flaps on your car? The reason I ask is that our OEM mud flaps stick down quite low and they do occassionally rub against bumps like at driveway thresholds.

Paul

There is some possibility that this scraping is coming from the covers on the U-joints on the rear axle.

Your “low spot in the road” has me wondering. What exactly do you mean by this?

I note that anywhere the road has a sudden loft, you will note an accumulation of oil on the road surface. As cars are suddenly forced upward they release any dangling droplets.

At each of these locations was where my XJS with a bad transmission mount would grind the driveshaft or joint against its cover or the chassis. Very similar to tire scrub but more metallic.

by low spot I mean, were I am traveling a downhill then lowest area of road , then uphill

Mark,
Look beneath your car for anything that might be lower than the rest of the car and contacting the road like mud flaps, exhaust parts or plastic wheel well dust shields.

Paul

1 Like

That is exactly the type of road condition that causes transmission / driveline scuffing with a bad transmission mount.

I’m not saying that this is your issue. But I’d suggest checking it as a possibility if a cursory check doesn’t show anything rubbing elsewhere.