Tires - again - Vredestein 185VR15?

I know this has been beat to death and my head is spinning from reading all the posts the subject. After a VERY long time I am finally getting my '65 E back from the painter. The tires are at least 25 years old and need new ones. I think I have decided on Vredestein 185VR15 Sprint Classic Tires - $189 ea from Tire Rack. The size seems to be right - 786 rev’s per mile. I will not be driving the car hard or fast. Are there any good reasons NOT to get these tires?
thanks,
Dave Christensen

I have those on my 70 FHC 5 years old still in good shape ride and handle fine for everyday driving

None. They’re great tires. What I have mounted on my E-type. No reservations. Go for it.

Hi Dave…these are tubeless tyres…im assumind your 25 year old set up have tubes…so think about new tubes (suitable for tubeless tires)and rim bands as well…Steve

I’m on my second set and am very happy with their performance for normal and occasional spirited driving.
Also, they look good / correct and keep the low speed steering effort very manageable.

The only caveat voiced here concerning the Vredestein Sprint Classics is that they are categorized as a Summer Tire. As such, the manufacturer states:

“Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.”

If your car will be exposed to such temperatures (even if just sitting in the garage) they would be a potentially dangerous choice. Other than that, they are great. I have them on 2 E-Types, one with 5-1/2" rims, one with 6".

Did you find that on a Vredestein site somewhere? I can’t find any definitive statement from them. There are a lot of GENERIC warnings about summer tires.

FWIW, I liked the Sprint Classics on my E-Type enough to try Vredestein HiTrac’s on my DD VW. They are the quietest tires I’ve ever encountered, and they handle quite well.

That was a cut-and-paste from the Tirerack website, where the tires are sold.

So the same generic statement from the same source that we’ve been discussing for years upon years. I’m still waiting to hear a definitive response from the manufacturer.

I’m happy with them. Nice tire for cruising and the occasional spirited driving. I purchased them from Tire Rack.

Enquiry re temp just sent to Vrederstein…lets se if we get a reply…Steve

You mean…this time. FWIW, I like the tires, but I don’t treat them as votive offerings from another place and time. I generally don’t drive the car in winter, but they stay on the car for winter storage.

1 Like

I contacted the manufacturer a few years ago when this question came up.

Vredestein sprint classic tires and colder temperatures? - E-Type - Jag-lovers Forums

Start reading from post #15.

Thanks John for posting a link to that old thread where we thrashed that particular dead horse to the end of the universe and back… Thanks to your efforts, we did get a statement from the manufacturer (Vredestein) which was probably as definitive as we could reasonably expect given the large number of factors that are likely to affect the issue. So, in answer to @davchr 's original question, I think it would be wise to read the thread John referenced, and consider how it applies in your own particular circumstances…

1 Like

Yes, I have 5 new Dayton tubeless rims.

Living in Tucson a summer tire fits my bill just fine. I will just not drive my E on the few extremely cold (<40 degree F) winter mornings we have here. :sweat_smile:

I have used Vreds for years and have always liked them — great tires. But the “summer tire” warning spooked me enough to look for alternatives.

I ended up with Blockley tires (185VR15), and I really like them. They seem at least comparable to the Vreds, and carry no cold-weather warning.

Blockley sells only direct to the consumer. There are no Blockley dealers. I simply called them by phone, and ordered with my credit card. A (very) few days later, they were on my doorstep. Highly recommended!

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho

Tom D appears to be the only person who was successful in getting through to Vredestein. Here is his post from March 2023.

I now remember: again, a Tempest in a teapot. Would I use them here in Colorado?

Yes… When it was dry.

August of 2023 I followed up and asked if a bulletin was ever written. Not surprising the response was no. It would be nice to see one, but I would not count on it.
Tom