Title Question - Georgia

Hi All - new here, but I have been lurking and enjoying following others adventures for some time. 1967 E S1 Title question. When I bought it in VA in ~1992 - VA got the VIN wrong (1 extra #), and I didnt notice until I got to Georgia in 96. Car never titled in GA (or on the road either but another issue…), but some health issues mean I will probably need to sell. Talked w VA sometime ago and the only thing they could tell me was - we need to see the car in person to correct it - and thats pretty burdensome from here in middle GA. Georgia has a “VIN Verification form”, filled out and signed by a LE officer checking and attesting to what the car actually has on it. All matching numbers on the data plate - hate to have to do any kind of salvage title or whatever to sell. Anyone w experience with this in GA?? Trying to head off any problems even w this VIN verification form since the title has the wrong #. Thanks in advance for any input.

@Les_Halls…any clue?

Well, you might have a challenge on your hands if you really want a title…Georgia does not require a title for cars older than 1986. For cars back to 1963 they will issue a title, but only if you really want one and push hard. So if you want to register it without a title, then you will not have any problem. If you really want a title for the car, you may need to get the original title corrected first. Hope this helps. Jeff S.

Thx guys - as far as Im concerned, the only reason to do either title or registering would be to facilitate sale. Appreciate the info

Richard, welcome to JagLovers, and sorry to hear of the health problems that will be driving you to sell your car. Everyone here on the site would much rather be helping you embark on getting the car back on the road to enjoy!

Can’t offer any thoughts on how Georgia would do this, but I’d like to add a perspective you would likely get from potential buyers. With S1’s being very collectible vehicles, it is very likely that your eventual buyer will be out of state and potentially even out of country. It seems that in the last couple decades, most state DMVs have been getting tighter and tighter on how they deal with things, and while buyers these days are willing to take on mechanical risk they’re less inclined to take on paperwork risk. One example we see that I think fits this point is the ubiquitous Heritage Certificate that seems to be a feature of most sales now. It’s trivial to get, but is a piece of paperwork that buyers pretty much expect now.

I think you’ll significantly reduce the buyer pool if you aren’t able to deliver title with purchase, and this could significantly hurt your price. It can also hurt your time on the market as will likely need to have it listed for sale for longer than other cars on the market. And just like in real estate, being in the market too long compared to competitive offerings creates doubts in buyer’s minds.

I’d highly advise you to take whatever steps needed to secure a Georgia title, and think you’ll be rewarded for the effort. Good luck with the health, and good luck with the sale!

1 Like

thanks to all for the input. looks like I’ll be talking to my friendly local boys in blue about the VIN verification, and work thru getting it titled properly. Had not really thought about the Heritage Cert but that sounds like a good idea too.

I’ve been down that road…several times! It can be trying. But I absolutely agree that a title will be worth the effort. Like Jeff said GA was a non-title state for your vintage. So you have some options.
First I would go back to Virginia on the phone. If they haven’t purged their files, they will have a record of the title sold to you and that is just a paperwork solution. The key is to break through the red tape and get to an VA DMV Title office called, “Error Corrections” or something to that regard. You will have to be very persistent. If you get them to do this, then make certain that VA updates the National Registry which, hopefully, they’ll belong to. It is called NMVTIS
Second, again on the phone to VA. Ask that they allow a GA State Inspector to inspect your vehicle and send his official and stamped findings to VA. They should do this if GA will agree.
Thirdly, you can enlist GA DMV to help you. If you attempt to title your car in GA and they see there is a possible error believe in the VA title and that your car is what their inspection says it is, GA can request that VA correct their error and update the NMVTIS. That is easy and I did just such a thing between IL and FL where FL did not want to cooperate until the IL DMV gave me a letter that I submitted to FL. Again, the key was to get to the “Error Resolution” folks.
Simultaneously to the above, get your JDHT Certificate. It is easy and will help assure people the mistake is not yours. (Although they have no official standing.)

And if all that fails, you can abandon the VA title, obtain a GA registration and then apply for a GA title. This is not the most desired, but hot rod guys do it often (think 32 Fords).

Oh yes, almost forgot. In most states there are Title Service companies who will, for a fee, represent you at the title dept. These can be very effective. You might check out what’s available in VA.

I’m in VA and the DMV can be exhausting. I had a title issue with my E and was about to use the below service:

http://www.virginiaautotitle.com/

I did not end up using them as my Hail Mary worked, so I can’t directly comment on their efficacy.

Best of luck!
Dsd

I would ignore the VA title and get a new GA title if you really want one. If the state doesn’t title older cars, all you need is a bill of sale to register. cars from out of state may need police inspection but, you have that. that’s the way it is in my state

I found the Alabama DMV very 'cooperative" when i had a out of state title issue…that was a while back however

Almost thought it meant me!!! No, one letter different

quick scan of the issue. Clean title is everything in the sale of a vehicle, especialy one with a good value., A cheapie, not so much.

In CA, I would requeat a corrected title. Explain the issue woith a “Statement of facts” form. Request a verification of the VIN by a qualified inpectopr, a state trooper, DMV off icer, etc.

do similr in VA. probably rare, but it happens…
Carrl

actually - almost done now - got VIN verif form done, tag ofc had no issue with the wrong VIN on the Virginia title (with deputy signed verification form), all good except I coudnt get it finished on Friday because needed wife to sign old title (duh). 30 mins after I left - ofc closed down til further notice due to an issue with our current covid problems. Hoping it wont be more than a week or two

1 Like

Well, that’s good news Richard. About the title, not the closed office. That is the best solution for your future sale. New title application from some buyer will result in that state doing an interrogation of the NMVTIS and they like to see a chain of events that is consistent and related. I think you have this one solved. Let us all know how it turns out.

1 Like

Hi All - glad to report that all at Putnam tag office seem to be OK - and even more glad to say that I now have a GA title - at least when the official doc come in ~10 days. All I have in hand is tax receipt - but its got the right VIN on it! Not as hard as I had feared it would be - pretty nice to live in a small county. With the VIN verification - a few minutes explanation to deputy and clerk - all went well. Had to pay extra $10 (plus 0.29 interest!) since I failed to title when I moved here in 2018 - I felt it politic to omit that I had bee in GA since 1996 :wink: just not in this county. A whole $1 in tax lol. I have been researching how to value - its going to be up for sale here soon - want to verify #'s with JDHT cert (for what its worth) when I have the real title cert in hand. Hoping to get on the boat this weekend - subject to weather and the ‘handbrake’ that wants me to do yard work - enjoy your weekend wherever you are - stay safe

1 Like

Wow, that was a lot easier that I had expected…you should try to do that in Fulton County (City of Atlanta)… would never happen. Jeff S

Received my JDHT cert today - very happy to see that all numbers match - Series 1 - the only thing apparently changed was black interior now vs original beige. Doesnt have the original dealer name, came thru Jaguar cars New York - date of dispatch 2 May 1967 - not sure if thats when they sent to USA, or when left dealer. Hope to be listing this for sale soon

Great to hear Richard! My certificate was the same on the 63’. No original owner, just the import location (New York). Jeff S.

I think JDHT or whoever is in charge today are much more circumspect than they used to be. The certificate I received in 1998 lists the local dealer, date of sale, and buyer complete with street address.

Its my understanding that they release that info if they have it, though possibly its changed. I’ve seen thousands of JDHTs over many years, well before privacy became an issue and most don’t have the original owner info. Mine did, I contacted the original owner. I do believe there are privacy concerns today but lets face it, for the original owners of our cars is extremely unlikely to live in the same place and very possibly no longer with us so there really isn’t much risk. A name and address isn’t much of a threat in any case.
pauls

1 Like