To convert or not convert '67 S1.25 headlights

I am pondering the idea of converting my S1.25 to covered headlights. Given that each person has a good reason for his/her opinion on the subject, I would appreciate some thoughts from anyone interested in commenting
Aesthetically, of course, it has to be a personal decision. This post is geared more toward the current and future value aspect.
Points of consideration:
Only the S1.25 has the same hood as the S1 cars.
The S1.25 has the unique headlight setup that sets them further back on the car.
This gives the owner the ability to convert without hood modification and repaint (if done carefully)
The S1.5 and S2 cars have a different hood and the headlights are set further forward with larger trim and a very slightly more exposed lamp.
S1.25 car might have a fairly small production #.
In '67 cars came with both covered and open lamps.
It is my understanding that factory records do not reflect which cars had each.
The car is already a very nice driver and does not need work otherwise.

With all that in mind. is it better to keep the car stock, or convert to the highly coveted covered lamps.
Thank you in advance for any discussion offered.
RG

I would not think there would be a value penalty for the conversion for most folks but to a few there would be. Been a long time since I read about the conversion but was under the impression that some metal work was required on the bonnet. S1.25 and S1.5 have the same bonnet it didn’t change until the S2. The real issue is the cost of the conversion and its cosmetic only and the headlight output will suffer a lot.
pauls

2 Likes

I converted my S1.5 to covered headlights with my own made-in-the-garage-by-elves version. I don’t care about value since I’ll never sell her and I’d never go back. I LOVE the look.

2 Likes

If it’s truly a “1.25” should it not already have covered headlights?

Bob how did you form the lens ? I have been wondering if perhaps a one piece lens/gasket could be made out of clear plastic to fit in the opening without any mod to the existing 1.25/1.5 headlights.

David
68 E-tpe FHC

Bob, The uncovered headlights is the only significant change from the St to the S1.25,

Paul- So the bonnets are the same for S1-S1.5, but the lamp placement and trim is different between the S1.25 and S1.5. Thank you for that clarification.

Ops, Sorry Paul, that reply was meant for abowie.

That is impressive Bob.

There are detailed factory records regarding the change from S1 to S1.25.

That said, many (if not most) owners have made their 1.25s in to 1s with covered headlights. A look on XKEdata, and also at Sports Car Market’s Platinum Database shows this to be true. As the owner of an original early 1967 with covered headlights, I say go for it! I believe from the data that it will increase the value of your car.

Why? Inevitably in an auction or sale the fact may be presented that the car was converted. When you offer the reasons and show your original parts for retrofit, the potential buyer will be given the choice to turn back the clock. But why would he? He has a 1967 car the way Jaguar–and not U.S. safety legislation–intended it to be. Besides, in other areas of the world, covered headlight versions continued to be manufactured and sold.

In short, do it!

No, the US-spec early ‘67’s had open headlights, toggles switches, triple-SU’s, cross flow radiator.

These are what Americans refer to as S1.25 cars.

1 Like

The S1.25 hood is identical to the S1.5. They both lack the flange around the headlight apertures for mounting the headlight covers.

The flanges can be added by welding, or some other creative methods of attachment.

My car was within the covered head light group, but had open headlights when I got it. The bonnet was a little strange with some unusual supports,etc. I opted for the Monocoque Motor works conversion during my major restoration. Very satisfied with the kit. So I felt that I was restoring the bonnet back to the original covered headlights.

I really doubt the value of the car will be affected if you correct the mistake triggered by these damn US regs. Keep the bits and parts just in case.

If you prefer the covered headlights, go for it. That s what I did on my series 3.

For the car I have listed on BAT right now (yet another gratuitous plug!) I was in the same boat as Michael. By car number, the car should have been built with closed headlights. It came to me many years later with open headlights. I think the improvement in looks is outstanding. Below is a link to my How To article. I do not personally think you can do it without some paint work

1 Like

Sir William opened the headlights in Jan. '67, before the safety regs went into effect which had its full impact in Aug. '67 on the '68 S1.5. Jaguar knew the change was coming and I will speculate that Sir William saw it as a small windfall. He got rid of the expense of the glass and trim parts, the time fiddling with the installation on the assembly line, greatly improved headlight function and replacement all at the same time. A win, win, win.

pauls

I covered the headlights in my Series 1.5 simply because I prefer the look over the uncovered headlights. With modern LED lighting the covered headlights cast very good light so that argument is now moot. As for value, I don’t give a damn about that as it won’t be sold until I’m 6’ under or almost there. Do what makes YOU happy…

5 Likes

I’ve debated this question off and on over the almost 40 years I’ve owned my Series 1.5. The last time was eight years ago when I was completing the total restoration and called Chuck Hadley (Monocoque Metalworks) to discuss his kit and in the end, once again, left the bonnet as-is.

Chuck himself has an interesting perspective on the subject on [his website]( [Series 1 Covered Headlamp Conversion Flanges | Monocoque Metalworks including the statement:

''A couple of years ago, I had 2 dead bonnets sitting outside
of the shop for a couple weeks, waiting to be taken apart to
save the inner valances. One was a '63 and one was a '68.
And after seeing them every day side by side, I determined
that the '68 just had a better shape overall. And with their
body-colored scoop, and minimal trim, ‘68s probably have the
best lines around the headlamps. So, actually, I can see why
they ditched the covered headlights for safety reasons, and
I think they did a pretty good job with the ‘68.’’

I have to agree.

Back in 2013 I did a compilation of so-called Series 1.25 and 1.5 cars in XKEDATA.com that had been converted to covered headlights and counted almost half of the former and one in five of the latter. It’s a popular alteration. But it’s not without its drawbacks. Functionally the glass covers are inferior. It’s difficult to make them waterproof and they can fog up in cooler weather. They also do not illuminate the road as well. And, though I covet those lovely glass covers aesthetically, I can’t say the same for the screwed-in and heavy chrome surrounds. Had Jaguar not yielded to their beancounters and trimmed the E-type bonnet as they had the XKSS the result would have been far more appealing.

Anyway, it’s your car and you should do with it what pleases you. Bear in mind there are far fewer, as Jaguar termed them, “Open Headlight Variant Series One” cars than their covered headlight siblings.

I think we can have a gentlemanly dispute here. Cars of all manufacturers built next year’s model beginning in September or October, for delivery to the hungry customer ASAP into the next year.

In mid October 1966, Jaguar made the only cosmetic change to the car (there were other mechanical updates): they added the ambla shift boot in lieu of the rubber gaiter, which replaced the earlier leather boot, shortly after introducing the 4.2 for the 1965 model year. Production of this model continued with covered headlights for the US market until January 11, 1967, at which time the next cosmetic change was made: the headlights were uncovered. Thus the birth of the S 1.25 variant.

So, arguably to many of us, there is an “early 1967 E-Type.” It has covered headlights and an ambla shift boot. The only way you can tell if a 1.25 has been altered to “early 1967” standard is by the VIN number, referenced in an earlier post.

As an aside, two other cosmetic changes were made earlier in 1966: the alternator got a mud shield, and sun visors were added to the OTS.

I converted my '68 to closed headlights a couple of years ago using the Monocoque kit. From watching prices for these cars over the years, but in particular on BAT I came to the conclusion that the series 1.25 and 1.5 kind of fit into a black hole in values. They should sell somewhere in between Ser I and Ser II cars but often fall below Ser II values. I believe converting the car will increase it’s value substantially. Most people don’t buy these cars to show at a JCNA concours, so perfect authenticity is not that important.

I’m not sure you are correct in describing the placement of the lamp in these cars. On the 1.5 it’s mounted to the (now external) sugar scoop, which is pop riveted in, whereas on the Ser I it’s mounted on the diaphragm. On my car I needed the Ser I diaphragm, the bucket, with its gasket, a new wiring harness, and as well a new ring that holds the headlight to the bucket - combined with the cost of new chrome, and glass covers, an expensive proposition.

1 Like

I know….I own one of those extremely late-‘66 builds.

That’s not a dispute, that’s picking fly poop out of pepper. I was answering the question at hand.

2 Likes