Today's stupid bumper question

All,
I dismantled the front bumpers and found two “round and tapered” spacers and two slanted spacers which I believe to be correct.

There were none of these round-tapered spacers on the back as found. In convesation with SNG there should be four of these for for the rear bumpers. Ordered.

Now for the dumb part. do the tapered ends of the round spacers go against the body or does the tapered end face the bumper bracket?

check out :slight_smile:

at 1;58 to see the brackets he is putting inside the nose I don’t have these and don’t recall them being there on tear down…20 yrs ago

BTW this is the spacer I am talking about:

Bumper spacer

The chamfered end goes inwards.

Thanks Andrew.
Am I missing the funny brackets that guy has in the video? I have a 66 as does he.

Bill, those bumper bolt brackets should have been there. If you don’t have them installed you’ll need to get some and put them in.

Wonderful. do I need two or four? I didn’t see them in SNG bumper parts diagram.

You might need to call and ask. It’s not generally a part that needs replacing since they’re attached to the car with pop rivets. Are the pop rivet holes in the bonnet still there? You could probably make the studs, not much to them really. It’s going to be important that they get attached to the bonnet in the right place depending on how much wiggle room there is in the blade holes. You don’t want to find out that the available gap to install the center bar if 1/4" too wide or narrow.

The wedged spacer is important and very frequently it is insufficient to hold the blades horizontal and they’ll droop. If they do, slice some thin fender washers in half, are glue them to the bottom half of the wedge between the wedge and the blade. Keep adding more until the over-rider face is vertical to the ground.

Hello Erica,
Actually, each bracket is secured by two bolts used in holding the Lower Valance and the Wings together; no pop rivets for these brackets.

Regards,

Bill

Ah, okay so different from the rears. Should be easy to make right?

I have a 3.8 so no brackets at all.

Sng has them. I just made up my own. They are a pretty simple shape.

OK, the body shop disassembled the bonnet and reassembled so…probably forgot to reinstall those.

Is it just the two holes in the centre near the intake or do I need all four to have brackets.

aren’t they supposed to have a sliding nut on them?

No. The nut is fixed in place. I actually substituted a stud for the nut. Makes bumper installation much simpler and there is some (Careful) adjustment of the stud angle after installation if needed.
You need all four

Hello Bill,
Four Brackets.

Regards,

Bill