Tools in place hooray

Finally have tools (except tee key) in place

1 Like

BTW A black car is incredibly hard to work on. Putting trouble lamp in the engine bay I like dunking it it a oil bath

1 Like

I agree with that 100%. It’s amazing how the black paint absorbs light!

1 Like

Graham why are your yellow pads black!

Oh that reflection. Sure puts my scruffy spare tire compartment to shame.
BTW my original tire pads are black.

Hi Terry.
Cause I’ve never seen yellow ones.

Looks really good Graham, but as you say, very glossy black is not a good background colour for photos, thus my best reference photos are on light colours, for example ……

Can I ask how you have refinished your wheel-brace?

Roger

I will check but my memory tells me they were a yellow dunlopillo rubber but always seems to have a coat of black paint on them maybe they went on tank before it was painted?

I will check but my memory tells me they were a yellow dunlopillo rubber but always seems to have a coat of black paint on them maybe they went on tank before it was painted

Hi Roger.
Wow what a difference the lighter colour makes.
The wheel brace is un-restored original condition.

Hi Mike. The brown leather strap I had made based on the best photos / dimensions I could find. I used what I believe is an original buckle.

Tee key. Although I understand it was left either in it’s original bare steel or ‘blued’ state I have chosen to have it black oxide finished. More for corrosion protection. Same as I have painted the ratchet handle rivets which Roger informed me were bare metal.
I’ll endeavour to post a photo of the completed tool roll tools. (hopefully Roger won’t beat me up too much :sweat_smile:)
Cheers.

Graham,

My copy of the factory Contract Drawing for C2955 WHEEL BRACE, of June 1949, says "FINISH:- BLACK BRONZE BAR WITH DULL CHROME GRIPS " I am unsure exactly what ‘Black Bronze Bar’ means, but regardless its not painted Black Enamel (as many do) but whether a natural material colour, or some form of chemical blackening I cant say, but the Contract Drawing does say they are made of Steel and not ‘bronze’ per se. So I interpret Black Bronze to most likely be a chemical blackening process (not blued) or colour finish name. Dull Chrome however is non-ambiguous.

Regardless, from your photos, I think you have done a superb job, and you wont lose points for the painted rivets on your ratchet-handle.

Roger

1 Like

Thanks Roger.

To me the best way I could describe the wheel brace finish is it appears black oxided.

Regards, Graham

Terry, you may be thinking of the pads in the 140.

That’s about as good as I can do.

1 Like

Had a go at restoring my FL3 flasher. I had a stamp made as close as I could with the fonts available and after 300 attempts to put it onto the flasher can this is the best I could get to date. I fitted the internals from a new flasher. Haven’t tried it yet.