Top off the Diff oil

Tap off all the oil, Mark - and measure distance again…:slight_smile:

The previous test does not tell how well the other stuff actually lubricates. The diff is hypoid, hence the ‘90’ spec - though the multigrade ‘75/140’ should be OK…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

All I can suggest are two things:

1. As to the 14 fasteners, A drill driver fitted with a 1/4 drive for a socket of the size. Or, air driven wrench with 3/8" socket drive.

2. When I’ve purchased gear oil in either 90 or 240 or similar, it came in aplastic bottle replete with a simple pump!!! I found that placing the
    bottle in the sun for a time made it flow better.

Carl….

1 Like

to the best of my memory, drop the tie plate (a few mins), you can then wedge a 1litre bottle with the plastic snout high enough to squeeze the oil in, especially if you are just topping up

if you want to drain & refill, a plastic hose inside, and a drill powered pump works fine to evacuate and fill

afaic, avoid taking the oval diff cover off

1 Like

The factory Service Manual and Owners Handbook recommend various brands of Hypoid 90 commonly available in the UK.
In the US we have Pennzoil SAE 80W-90 API GL-5 which I use.

You can see the spout which works really nice with the long hose so I can fill it standing beside the car.
They also offer SAE 75W-90 for very low temperature operation.

The W number is the Winter viscosity.
Don’t know why they call it platinum; I don’t think they put any platinum in the additives, do they?

Has anybody used a synthetic? Like Royal Purple, Mobile 1 or Amsoil? I run Royal Purple in the crankcase and the power steering. My only hesitation is the seals; if the synthetic will degrade the seals. Just curious.

Get one of these…

Hah ha, That’s the pump I have. I picked up from the usual suspects, Harbor Freight. Trying using that to drain a kiddie pool… haha. I’ve got that pump and I’ve ordered one of those oil syringes too.

The oil that I have, I looked again is Castrol 85-140w. I think this will be fine, Right? I know it talks about an SAE 90w but the local auto part stores don’t have the single weight’ it’s all the multi-weight stuff.

That’s my project for the day.

I’ll keep you posted as to whether I drill a hole, or get my boneless buddy to help.

Thanx
Mark

1 Like

Yep that oil’s fine…
Funny…yeah it amazes me my hands and arms are not more scarred up from working on these cars over the years…

You’ll be fine.
Be careful and best of luck.

1 Like

I’ve driven my XJ6 for 50K miles over several years on RedLine synthetic 80W90 in the differential. Not seen any problems with the seals.

2 Likes

I’ve the same. I got it to work, once, to siphon gas from my jaguar. Never tried it on gear oil. Too messy.

When I have purchased gear oil it came in a bottle with a neat little pump!!!

Carl