Topping up coolant

I have been having trouble topping up the coolant level on my 98 XK8. Is there a trick? After shutting down, the cooling fans run on high for quite a while.

Hi Grahame,

I don’t check this forum very often, can’t believe you haven’t had a reply yet! It’s perfectly normal on modern cars for the fan to run until the engine is nicely cooled off. And a good thing, too.

I take it that this is why you are topping off coolant so often. If the coolant is topped off when cold, it will probably lose some each time whenever first warmed up, due to fluid expansion. Perfectly normal. The coolant level will then stabilize.

Your car is probably behaving as it should. Just monitor it for awhile without adding coolant, to see if it stabilizes.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho
E-type S2 FHC and '99 XK8

Thanks Bob. I’ve since discovered I have a slow leak at the water pump. A few weeks ago, the low coolant alert kept coming on and going off. I topped it up but was wondering if there was a place I had to ‘burp’ the system to make sure there were no air pockets.

Have found 2 ways to remove air from cooling system. Attach a rigid clear tube with 2" ID about a foot long to expansion tank neck. Secure with hose clamp. Available at Home Depot. Watch coolant go up and down tube expelling air with no mess of coolant spilling. Other method purchase vacuum refill kit.

Glenn