Torque converter lockup issue

I have a 94 xj6, ever since I bought this car it had a torque converter noise which I have another post on. I am also thinking something is up with the lockup because I don’t feel anything change after 52 mph, when I let off gas on highway the engine slows the car down like something is pulling me back. I don’t know what the cruising rpm is for this car but mine does 2500rpm at 70mph and approximately 3200 rpm at 90 mph. Is this normal for this car?

I have no idea if this will help you but I put in an aftermarket GM 700R4 in my 1977 Corvette restomod. Part of road test for functionality of the TC lockup was to get it into fourth gear and then touch the brake pedal. The brake light switch also serves to energize a solenoid in the transmission which then disengages the lockup. So hitting the brake pedal lightly in 4th then produces a slight rise in rpm, if it does that it is working.

From dealing with another type of vehicle

to test whether TC lockup is occurring, there are 2 tests

1. measure the resistance of the TC solenoid by back probing the specified terminal in the FSM

2. To test on road, on a long flat road, accelerate steadily from rest up to ~100kmph

if you have a 4 speed trans, you should be able to detect 5 distinct changes in RPM

When I say distinct, the TC usually only drops RPM by ~10% so can be subtle

repeat the test a few times, do not use too much throttle

If you cant detect that final RPM drop, usually between 70 to 90 kmph the TC is not engaging

1 Like