TPMS Module Replacement

A few weeks back I was driving my car, and suddenly the dashboard gave a Check Tire Pressure warning on several of the tires. After checking the tire pressures with several gauges that are accurate, I found that my pressures were correct. This has been going on for the past few weeks where sometimes I’d get the warning on some or all of the tires, and sometimes everything would function fine.

There are apparently two possible causes of this. One is caused by the TPMS system needing a software update. The other is caused by a faulty TPMS module. Because only the dealer can do the software update and there’s no guarantee that doing the update would fix the problem, I decided I’d better just replace the TPMS module. If you decide this is something you need to do to your car, the steps to complete the task are below. Not sure if its the same on post-facelift cars.

Start by removing the right seat (passenger for those of us in the US). You’ll need an E12 external Torx bit to remove the four bolts holding the seat to the floor board.

The TPMS module is located under the seat. However, to get to it you’ll need to completely remove the seat from the car, so you’ll need to unbolt the seat belt too. It uses a T50 Torx bit. Unbolt the belt, pull the wire from the retainer, and disconnect the wire connector.

Also, you’ll need to disconnect the wiring harness that connects to the bottom of the seat. There should be three connectors. You only need to depress a tab on each to disconnect them.

The seat is very heavy and bulky, so you may need a helper to get it out the front door. Next, remove the front and rear scuff plates. They simply pry upwards which you can probably do with your hands. Also, with the scuff plates off, you’ll remove the B pillar cover. It also pops off. Pry the top loose, and then you should be able to lift upwards to free it from the bottom retainers. Pull the back edge of the front carpet away from the rear carpet. You should see this.

Your TPMS module is under the ductwork. There is a ductwork connection directly in front of the steel brace in the right of the picture. Wiggle the ductwork loose from the connection and then work it through the opening in the brace to remove it. Now you should have direct access to the TPMS module.

Just disconnect the two wiring connectors and remove the two 10mm nuts holding the module to the floor. Installation is the reverse of removal.

One thing to note is that once the new one is installed, my understanding is that you’ll need to to get the software uploaded to it. I went ahead and set up an appointment with my local dealer to have this done soon. So far, the dashboard has not had any pressure warnings, but that doesn’t mean its functioning properly yet. But at the very least, I’ve saved myself from paying the labor for installation.

Brett,

Great right up. I have a question tho that hopefully you can answer. Do the sensors in the wheels use batteries? I assume they do…but maybe they have an inertia type piezo electric driver.

I would assume that there are two parts…the wheel senders and the TPMS receiver. Depending on the cars age…i would have gone for wheel sensors first…especially if sudden cold weather hit…which could impact battery performance…you don’t discuss the age of the car or if the wheels sensors had been replaced at some point. What caused you to suspect the TPMS module?

Cheers

Gary

TPMS lite. Totally OFF THE WALL answer. On my 2011 Honda CRV I went through that. Finally took it to the
dealer since I had an extended warranty. Took it there TWICE, cost me $140 to find out the issue was
the adaptor I plugged into the car to charge my cell phone AND my GPS via USB ( two ports ) into
the cars plugin. That’s my story and I am sticking to it. Pete

2 Likes

Gary, I’m not 100% sure how they are powered, but I know the wheel sensors do have a finite life span and must be replaced after a while.

The reason I went with the module is for two reasons. First, I did some research, and it seemed that the module was the typical issue when this problem occurs. Secondly, the fact that it would go back and forth from the tire pressures being fine to being underinflated at random times makes me think its a communication error. Also, it wasn’t just one wheel tripping the warning, but some or usually all of them. And just as quickly, it would be fine again and I’d have no warning.

I guess the confirmation will come this Friday when I take the car to the dealership to have the software update done. If I’m still not getting any warning lights, then my suspicion was probably right.

Wanted to give everyone a quick update. I got the software update done at the dealer this morning and drove the car around for the rest of the day. The Check Tire Pressure warning didn’t come on once. Before the fix, it would have gone on and off at least a dozen times in that many miles. I feel pretty confident that my fix worked.

2 Likes

Just googled and found this site and the perfect answer to my question!! Great write-up and I am officially a member.

Quick question, what was the control number on your new module ( for software, )

It looks lke your version that was in the car was FX 23.1560 AA. Was that the same as the one you installed?

I found a piece of black electrical tape, over the TPMS indicator light, worked fairly well.

:slight_smile:

Yes: small button batteries that have a finite life.

James, I’m not sure if the part numbers were exactly the same or not. Honestly, I just can’t recall. I would expect they were the same with the exception of the suffix, but don’t quote me on that. I ordered mine through a dealer and confirmed the part by providing my VIN before placing the order.

1 Like

@Pete55Tbird ^^^ this right here! !!!

Fell upon this site and Brett’s write up last night, was so happy to find such a good How To, thanks for that @wylde8

Just was I was looking into buying a new control module and installing like Brett did here I read this post from Pete. Oddly enough I was at the Honda Dealer this morning and just so happened to tell the Service adviser how rock solid my Honda is compared to my Jag and told him about this issue of the day. He literally said the same thing that they have had that issue before and yes it could be a charger.

Another oddly, I had just plugged in a charger (for the first time) to allow and beautiful woman seated next to me charge her phone. Just as I was impressing her with my car, the TPMS warning goes off. Until now I did not add the 2 up. Well removed it today and low and behold no light!!!
Probably a new controller would have most likely fixed the issue, figuring they would get complaints and change the software to deal with interference better over time as these things popped up.

Thanks again to the forum, I will be a visitor and contributor as I get deep into my new to me 2013 XF AWD

Thanks Brett, see my post regarding the charger…

Well, to revive this thread let me say that my 10 year old car just started with the TPMS warning and sequencing through all 4 tires. No charger hooked to the usb.
Car had just had the front bumper cover replaced and painted due to very minor scrape on front left. Haven’t had opportunity to drive it much since I picked it up, but it started doing the warning on the way to the body shop. So I am thinking it is not a case of relearning. I think it is 10 year old tire pressure sensors battery life issue.
My scan tool didn’t show code when the light on. Does anyone know if the tpms is an obdII code?
Brett, I know your original write up is from a few months back. Any problems since?

Jim, I’m happy to say that my TPMS system hasn’t had the slightest hiccup since I replaced the module and had it reflashed.

Is yours always indicating a pressure issue on all four tires, or does it sometimes indicate only certain ones?

Shows one at a time. Will show left rear, then a front tire then another rear
Never the same sequence. The TPMS tire symbol is amber and the low tire pressure is amber, and shows different tires. Then both displays will go off for a while, and then return. Took it to my indy and their scan tool showed good batteries, each sensor registered, good module etc. Everything checked out. He “reset” the system and I drove 20 minutes home and system did not illuminate again. Next time I cranked it showed the same within 2 minutes. After about 10 minutes and stopped cycling and didn’t repeat through several more starts and stops as I ran some errands, and then came on and back off one more time.

From what you’re describing, I think you may have the same issue I had. Mine started off as a pretty infrequent thing, but it didn’t take long for it happen most of the time. Resetting the system like your indy did may help for a while, but the fault will come back if the module is bad or needs a reflash. Short of having a pretty advanced scantool that can read the TPMS system while driving the car, I don’t know if there’s a definitive way for the average person to diagnose the issue. With mine, after doing research online and watching the warnings as I drive the car around, I decided there was a very strong possibility my hunch was correct and was therefore worth the gamble.

yeah, it came back. Gotta get on the schedule with my indy for them to spend some time with it. I am hoping it is a case of sensor batteries getting weak, and not responding quickly enough when sensor is queried.
If module, then the nearest Jag dealer is over hours away - - . One would think you get a module that is loaded with the latest s/w

Indy spent some time. Tire sensors check good and all readable components checked good /communicating. Indy says control module and I gotta take to Jaguar. 3 hour trip each way! I could easily do the module install, but if I have to take it to Jag dealer anyway then it almost seems counterproductive to do the install myself. You would think they could sell you a module with “proper” s/w loaded based on your VIN #.

Sorry to hear that Jim. Sounds like you do indeed have the same issue my car had. Its bad enough as it is, but that drive to your local dealer is the really bad part!

Thanks. Will keep the forum updated. Unfortunately I can’t find anything in my extended warranty about the TPMS

You could always do what I did, with the ever-malinformative TPMS system in my Hyundai: a strategically-placed piece of black tape, over the warning light.

:grimacing: