TPS clean & drain holes

I’d mark the position before taking it off as it’s function is relay the position of the throttle butterfly. Installed position is critical, on re-install position has to be set up with a multimeter …as long as you are prepared to do that, go ahead, remove it. If I were you though, I’d take the whole throttle body off and clean that at the same time.

On the other hand, I’d clean the oil build-up and carbon out of the intake plumbing and throttle body first and see if the car runs any better before taking it off.

I agree with Larry, its not too difficult to remove although from memory those M10(?) bolts give with a very satsfiying (worrying?) CRACK
The TPS can be set while the TB is off the car there will be the voltage setting somewhere on this site, you are looking at <> .6v from memory, but may be different for the ‘88

Its an i
89, what voltage should i be looking at? I am clueless on this one.

This is why I suggested going the intake plumbing clean up before diving into this job blind …

The Xj40 book might have the settings, check it out:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/ebooks/bookindex.php?Vbook=xj40

Here you go Groove;

1 Like

That helps, just unsure where and how to check voltage? With engine running at idle , plug disconected? I don’t see any exposed wires to check voltages? Okay I am braindead on this one.

I have cleaned the throttle body but I didn’t remove it when doing so, also the gap was kinda iffy with a feeler gauge.

The first time I pulled the throttle off but cleaned the throttle in place myself last time. I set up the butterfly like you too, so no big deal, it can be done like that with patience.

You check it at the connector by back-probing the plug. Use a pair of probes and clip them to your multimeter. You don’t need to have the engine running to check the voltages.

2 Likes

Thanks, that helps immensely.

1 Like