Tracing a possible fuel delivery issue

SNG would certainly have an appropriate coil. '69 would not have a ballast resistor, so any 3 ohm coil would be fine.

Thank you for this answer.

Not to complicate things Jay, but I have had my best results using coils from the period. Date of manufacture is usually stamped on the bottom of a Lucas coil and mine are all around 50 years old.

I have yet to have one of those fail. Can’t say the same for recently manufactured Lucas coils.

In any case, I never travel without a spare coil on board.

In order to fasten the backup coil to the frame, did you use any special bracket? Have you collected those period coils over the years or is there a current source of them that you’re aware of?

All I had to work with were some limited online photos of how Jaguar did it. I could not find a good view of the other side of the coil:

I made a bracket from a couple of truncated pieces of Stanley hardware (two 3" L brackets):

A bit cobbled but no drilling required.

Now I have an S2 with factory air:

And I can see how Jaguar did it (that long metal piece on the inboard side):

No ballast resistor required on yours of course, but perhaps the latter setup would be easier. Either way works fine.

BTW - The spacers I used to raise that coil were needed so the primary coil wire would not foul on the breather tube:

I believe, that when I had my E-Type serviced, a new Petronix coil was installed. So, unless I can find some NOS coils, I may need to get a backup Petronix. Thank you, very much, for the photos and explanation. I will follow your lead.

I don’t think there is anything special about a Pertronix coil - at least nothing that precludes using a stock coil with a Pertronix ignition.

In the one photo I posted that is the original 1970 coil working with a Pertronix distributor:

The other S2 (with the old Lucas Sport coil) has a Pertronix knock-off (Hot Spark), again a 50-year-old coil and an electronic ignition.

I’ve always been curious as to why Jaguar felt it necessary to use that hex shaped mounting point for the coil instead of attaching it directly to the top of the picture frame.

I better go out and harvest all the original Lucas coils off of my Rovers before I crush them!

1 Like