Trailer hitch for X308?

Meh: I limit my loads to1500 pounds… so far, so good, baby!

:grimacing:

1 Like

Obviously that doesn’t include the driver!!

2 Likes

Common sense is all thats needed, anybody can make a hash of towing a trailer. The USA is a very different kettle of fish to most other countries when it comes to vehicles.
Especially the UK, as stated big utes or trucks were in the .00001% (exaggerated of course) of vehicles. Tongue weight is what is going to ruin the drive if its not correct which is what Joey is referring to.
Just for fun;

1 Like

Lucky you live on that side if the pond, you meshuginah ol’ hebe…:joy:

If I ever have the good fortune coffcoff to meet you, imma gunna sit on you and ride like Slim Picken’s bomb!

That video was PETER coming up to New Jersey for the convention…Now imagine a series 2 on the back of an xj6…….
Haaa…
gtjoey1314

1 Like

If in doubt, RTFM. 4180 lbs braked towing weight is Jaguar’s max, with the 220 lbs max on the roofrack to be deducted if used. Tyres pumped up 39-40 psi.

The issue with the XJ models of all stripes is the long rear overhang. This magnifies the tail-wagging-the-dog effect if a truck passes at high speed. It also gives a lever effect on the nose weight, which is why it’s low at 165 lbs. Of course you can and should check/adjust the nose weight by careful loading.

All the factors Joey mentions in post #18 are ‘so what?’ if you drive and tow with care, but that is a given, surely? None of them are significant compared to the huge one he left out: a skilled driver…I’d rather share the road with a hundred XJRs towing carefully at max capacity, than with one XJ with no trailer but driven by a fool.

Pete, I love you but…
I’ve given you law of physics
Law of gravity
40 years of towing and trailering
Like the Italian version of the Bible says…
You can bring the ass to water, but if he doesn’t drink , he is tho argh a dumb ass!
Of course that’s the New York Italian version of the Bible.
And of course has no reference to you or anyone else living or dead but a fictitious farm animal during biblical times
Trailer on !
Gtjoey1314

OK: that’s a hoot: I always thought the Old Testament spoke about Jaguars’ asses.

Do I have the right forum?

:joy::joy::joy:

I’ll stick with my Hyundai . 150!

Wiggles
I love your avatar!
Gtjoey1314

1 Like

Having fun…
Because it looks like Pebble beach is falling off the map
Gtjoey
I have the hotel booked a year in advance

I did some research on the Mercedes W5A580 transmission. The lowest torque rating I noted was 428 ft-lb…some versions as high as 600. It was used extensively by Jeep and Chrysler during their brief partnership with Mercedes…the SRT series Chrysler products, Mercedes/Dodge box vans (Sprinter), and many Mercedes sedans and SUV. Seems to have a stellar reputation for being tough and long lived (cooler recommended in towing application). With good trailer brakes, I think the XJR would do quite well. Big torque, fairly stiff suspension, good brakes. Gotta be better than the short wheelbase Jeep pickup with rear drum brakes that I used for 30 years.

Eric , Your In with a fun group…
Did you take delivery yet?
Gtjoey1314

Not yet. The Florida broker said he had a headliner expert who would recover the original fiberglass shell for $200. So I took a risk and told him to proceed. That should be finished, so I’m hoping it goes on a westbound semi this week. No big hurry as I’m on the boat on the Great Lakes until it cools off in Texas.

Oh god…

I towed a Bantam trailer, loaded with wood, on the back of my '50 Willys, out of the Rockies.

Once.

Even in my late teens I recognized that was Not A Good Idea.

It’s so gratifying to know that you feel comfortable enough to express your subliminal desires on a public forum. Mazeltov.

1 Like

Subliminal?

How dare you use such a derogatory term for a fellow heathen!

:laughing:

Delivered this morning and my friend put it away for the rest of the summer. He tells me it lives up to the photos on the broker’s web site, so I’m no longer holding my breath.

xjr%20delivery9

Looks wonderful…

Now start towing😂

OK, here’s the trailer that goes with the XJR trailer hitch…low, light, and drops to the ground for easy loading. Looks like it was built with the E-type (and the XJ) in mind. Now if I can get the damn tow car running…

https://www.futuratrailers.com/--item-detail-single-axle-us#specs

Your funny
Get the car running
THEN blow up the transmission😀
Gtjoey1314