Tranmission Failure 05 Jaguar XJ8L

Have been told by my dealership the transmission in our 05 Jaguar XJ8L is on its last legs . Mileage on the car is 142 000 miles . Its been an excellent car we have owned for nearly 13 years . Disappointed that this happening at this mileage and had hoped for more .
Plan to get the transmission replaced , as car is in immaculate shape otherwise .
Any other 05 XJ8 owners have similar trans problems at this mileage , or is it normal .
Kim Rutherford .

The sealed for life tranny DOES as many have found require some maintence as other Posts have said. Topping up, fluidand filter changes and some of the drums replacing/upgrading.
142K is not a bad mileage if none of that has been done, I’d check the cost of a refurb. or a trade in replacement, rather that letting the Stealership just go ahead with an new tranny!
Good luck. Another thought is to drop the pan and do a fluid & filter job on it and see how that goes, as it has failed completely yet and is presumably driveable.

A mile over 100 grand is Russian roulette.
Its a fact,after the bullet proof x300 1995 to 1997, yes they moved on to the v8 , but the sealed tranny is a known killer besides the tensioners as well.
Its a lovely 100,000 mile car, then the wheels fall off.
The 95 to 97 270,000 is about right.
Ive had them all,remember just 10 years earlier they would fall apart new!!!
Get your chains and tensioners done or the engine is next!
Lovely looking car thought.
GTJOEY1314

Re transmission failure 05 XJ8L
Our 05 XJ8l is now at the dealers , transmission out. Major problem was the E Clutch I am told .
Remanufactured transmission going back in . Plan to keep the car a few more years . Not smitten with the latest styling , too cookie cutter for me .
Kim R
2012 XK convertible
2005 XJ8L
61 Mk11 3.8

Re Transmission Failure 05 XJ8L
Picked up the car today from the Dealership.Was told the transmission was completley worn out . So now have a remanufactured trans, which is very smooth in operation and has a 1 year warranty . Large expenditure on an old car but it drives and looks as new . Maintainance is of course an on going thing . Mechanic also checked the compressor . So far so good , however he replaced some connections , switches that were burnt and would have made the compressor fail .
Kim R
2012 XK Convertible
2005 XJ8L
61 Mk11 3.8