Trans front seal leak

(Aristides Balanos) #1

Dear friends,

i have a slight leak from the front transmission seal, nothing serious, but the pan is wet and there is a drip on the floor every now and then,.
I was thinking to ad a Trans Leak Stop additive, with the hope that it will soften the seal, leave it for a couple of weeks and then change the transmission fluid and filter.
I am intending to power flush it so none of the old fluid stays inside.
Does this stuff work or will I do more harm than good ? I have never tried it before.
Any preferred brand or product ?

Thank you,
Aristides

(Paul Wigton) #2

Likely won’t hurt, though, I’ve seen fairly dismal results with it.

(Frank Andersen) #3

Don’t think you should start now, Aristides…:slight_smile:

Honestly; ‘a drip now and then’ is neither here nor there as long as the level is maintained. Or are you, against all odds, expecting the additives to be a permanent solution…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

(Jochen Glöckner) #4

Aristides,

as much as I support your proven penchant for perfection; in this case I both doubt that a full rebuilt is warranted to replace the offending seal and that any mechanic-in-a-bottle will help.

Though it may be deaf advice at this time of the year - I bet the seal would regain its properties with extended use of the car; could it be that it just has started to get dry and hard with lack of exercise? Southern France should at least be salt-free. Maybe you take the chance for an extended run over the week end?

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

(Carl Hutchins, Jr. ) #5

My vote is “No”, and like Jochen I understand and admire Aristides bent for perfection.

I did it once. but, only part I. No swap out the old fluid and filter. I got some more miles, but the leak returned, big time. But, I had given the IHC to my son. so it was his to resolve…

Carl ….

(Aristides Balanos) #6

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.
I see your point, I think I will leave my perfectionism pass on this.

Best,
Aristides